• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha MP world record

thelake

Extreme
Hey.

I think I've set the world record for owning the most Yamaha Venture MPs.

I am now on my 4th...

In 6 years!

The first I gave up cause I thought it was to heavy

The second I gave up cause I moved across the country.

The 3rd I gave up cause my wife and I split.

Today I sold an RS Venture GT I recently bought, and then picked up a 2013 MP with just 1000 km, for 5 grand.

I'm keeping this one. I swear!

Man I love these machines. Even though reverse sucks and the ice under the tunnel sucks.

World record holder here. Self declared.

Welcome back! What made you come back to the MP? Was it that near death survival experience when you got the GT stuck?

And I'm going the other way. I already parked my MP after a couple issues and have been running my new-to-me 2010 RS Venture GT. The MP I'll be selling after fixing it up and swapping tracks. I mostly trail ride and this is WAAAAAAAY more comfortable. Funny thing is that my reverse has been working better.

Oh, and you'll want to ditch those tuner skis ASAP unless you like going into survival mode. For what you do, I'd recommend either some 8" Slydog Powderhounds or old style Yamaha skis with wide skins on them.

I have the Powderhounds that I got on Mooseman's recommendation five years ago and I think they are perfect. If I wasn't getting the VK Pro I'd be putting a mountain strap and a Goldfinger on the MP. If I was ever in the clutches I'd go with a soft start spring in the primary. And if I was ever in the chain case I might gear down a little.

My reverse has got very tolerable, but not perfect. I am running the chain a little looser but I think there is something else going on that I am working on. If carrying a rubber mallet isn't doing it for you then tackle the exhaust mod ... unless number five is coming soon.

Why are you getting the VK pro?
Unlike that machine, but really dread the idea of getting stuck. I'd argue it's the heaviest sled on the market. Are you getting new? Selling the MP?

Welcome back! What made you come back to the MP? Was it that near death survival experience when you got the GT stuck?

And I'm going the other way. I already parked my MP after a couple issues and have been running my new-to-me 2010 RS Venture GT. The MP I'll be selling after fixing it up and swapping tracks. I mostly trail ride and this is WAAAAAAAY more comfortable. Funny thing is that my reverse has been working better.

Oh, and you'll want to ditch those tuner skis ASAP unless you like going into survival mode. For what you do, I'd recommend either some 8" Slydog Powderhounds or old style Yamaha skis with wide skins on them.

I just love this machine. I really need a rack and I don't need any more power. I have the old Yamaha skis the sleds used to come with. I wouldn't want it any other way. My plan is to baby this sled and care for it. Isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
If carrying a rubber mallet isn't doing it for you then tackle the exhaust mod

I DO NOT recommend the exhaust mod by enclosing the tunnel. Despite using header wrap and heat reflective stick on matting under the tunnel, I melted my seat. Great for absolutely no ice boogers but now I gotta fix/replace the seat. Just use a rubber mallet.

Why are you getting the VK pro?
Unlike that machine, but really dread the idea of getting stuck. I'd argue it's the heaviest sled on the market. Are you getting new? Selling the MP?

This all started when I saw a low mileage 2015 MP for sale and realized I might outlive the 2014 I have. Not that it is all over at 30k (has over 14k now) but I don't want to be broken down out there or wrenching in season. Also, if I do have troubles I want a back up anyway. I could have kept one stock and modded one to make it better suited to other uses but on balance I decided to get another model.

Polaris was never in the running. I looked at Cats Norseman line(now Yami Transporter) and there was nothing there. The Bearcat comes with the same 1049cc Yamaha engine as the VK Pro and the dealer was drooling to sell a non-current sled. Looked really close at it because I've had to wait a year for the 2020 Yamahas to come out. There were no left over 2018s in western Canada. Bearcat was not impressive in the least.

So that leaves Skidoo and I have issues with BRP and their dealer that are insurmountable, not going there.

I went through the whole weight thing when I got the MP. The difference is not as much as some would make it seem. The VK weighs in with all the windshield you could want, full skid plate, full wrap bumper, large steel rack, tow hitch, power steering, and no wind deflectors because it doesnt need them. The others all charge handsomely for this stuff and none of them have EPS.

The guys that ride VKs say the secret is to stop and backup before you are stuck and I look forward to learning. Once I'm stuck it doesnt matter how much the sled weighs, I'm shoveling snow, not lifting the sled. Best thing for my back was when I gave up trying.

I'll go to town next week and order a 2020. Meanwhile the MP is treating me right.

I DO NOT recommend the exhaust mod by enclosing the tunnel. Despite using header wrap and heat reflective stick on matting under the tunnel, I melted my seat. Great for absolutely no ice boogers but now I gotta fix/replace the seat. Just use a rubber mallet.

Thanks for the correction, I knew you had done the mod and was waiting for you to post about it.

Shall we rename it the Mooseman heated seat mod or are you still hurting. It really is to bad it didn't work out but it is somebody elses problem now. Sounds like the new one suits you well.

Shall we rename it the Mooseman heated seat mod

LOL! That was one side effect was that my butt was nice and toasty. So much that I sometimes had to stand up to cool it down. My son behind me said that a lot of steam was coming off my #*$&@!

Well, it's not someone else's problem yet. Still have it. Debating either fixing it up to sell it (seat, tunnel, all ball joints, outer tie-rods, remove rear tail pipe, swap track) or parting it out.

Hey Mooseman, I noticed you painted your sled. Nice blue! I'm considering. I've got some surface rust around the front suspension and the a arms on the sled I just bought. I will clean it up this summer and perhaps paint it. Just wondering how you went about it. Did you take photos when you did it? This would be a new experience for me so looking for advice before I go Picasso.

That was done a long time ago. Took off the arms, rack and bumpers and had them powder coated. It was called electric blue and matched the Yamaha metallic blue perfectly. It's starting to chip and rust in some places. I'll have to find a matching paint and touch it up before selling it.

Thinking of doing the same thing with the GT, especially if I have to replace the A-arm bushings.

Back