• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Nytro MTX

lezs76

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro
Hi all,

New here (hope this is the right place to post) and to sledding, so go easy on me haha

So at the start of the winter I bought a Nytro MTX 2008 from my friend as he was buying a newer sled.

I have a couple of questions and guessing the answer will be it's your skill level and not the sled haha.

Anyway, been riding all winter long but I seem to be having the same problems over and over again. When ever I'm riding fresh snow and climbing I seem to run out of powder even with the throttle wide open and then get stuck or have to turn around for another run at it. When my friends have a go on my seld they don't seem to have the same problem.

I'm just over 200lbs and my friends are way under that so wondering if it could be something with the set up at the rear thats not ideal for me or because of my weight e.g. powder to gain weight ratio the sled but more likely I'm just doing something wrong as in my weight in the wrong place.

have you set the suspension for your weight yet?

I've just got on it and start to learn to ride it. My mate has all the know how but we never change any set up since I bought it off him.

What would change the suspension do for me and where can I find out what I need to change it to?

well, the springs could be set too soft four your weight. i know for trail riding most prefer 50/50 gap on the transfer rods at minimum. i run more of a 40/60 or 30/70 so that the skid does not couple as fast.

i am a trail rider/boondocker so my settings might not be correct in the mountains but they could be a good start.

I've tried to search for the spring settings but can't find anything. Can you point me to a web site that might hold that info?

36D8DFD5-AE84-4D7C-9FFC-2EA2E289097C_zpsuhm5o0sj.jpg

0CB5CB25-4256-4A29-8686-3F251CCC8930_zpssytym3ic.jpg

0A144287-402C-4EFE-BF57-F9D8F5F7D597_zps80vlei37.jpg

4BFE8A5C-E82D-4866-B432-93FA4F87D852_zpsbtvtwihu.jpg

Thanks Nikolai. I'll try some different settings out.

It's been awhile since I had anything to do with the stock suspension but I know that the torsion springs were weak and I believe you can install Apex torsion springs which are quite abit stiffer. Makes a big difference in the ride if you're pushing 200+ lbs. I'll have to go through some old posts of mine from 08/09 and see if I can find the spring rates.

Your extra weight will make a difference in deep snow climbing performance. I can remember back years ago when the difference between making it up steep climbs or not depended on whether you were packing extra fuel (5 gallon can) on the tunnel or not. This was back in the Mountain Max days and the S chute up Brandywine (Whistler) could be a real challenge.

I always have a full tank when I go out so that adds wight to it too.

I chatted to my mate and before next winter we are going to go over the sled and make sure it is set up correctly for me.

I did ride his Ski-doo Summit 800 a couple of time in the spring and its so light compared to mine and was fun to ride.

Yes Brohm. I've been to Brandywine once and that is the next level compared to Brohm.

Once I get my skill level up I would like to start heading further and seeing more places.

Back