• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Poll: What Skis are you running on your Sidewinder?

Part 1: What Skis are you running on your Sidewinder? Part 2: Pick one of the choices if not stock.

• Total voters
Sidewinder Model: 2017 Sidewinder XTX SE Blue
Track Length: 141
Studded: No
Rider Type: Aggressive
I ran the stock tuners for 800 miles, they pushed really bad in the corners was my biggest bitch, no floatation off trail either, so I went with Slydogs Powder Hounds with the 8 inch carbides. They solved the pushing in the corners and get the front end up in the powder way better, plus you can custom order them in any color combination to match your sled

Sidewinder Model: LTX-LE
Track Length:137" 1.25" stock track
Studded:
No
Type of rider:Aggressive Trail Rider, but safe no blind corners out of control

Bought new C&A Pro Razor ski's and then upgraded to Bergstrom 8" triples. Heard on TY that Tuners suck, a little front shock on skid adjustment and it's a trail burner with easy steering and zero darting.

Sidewinder Model: LTX-LE
Track Length:137"
Studded:
Yes
Type of rider: Trail Rider.

Bought 6.9 Pilot with 8" round bar and 4" outside carbide after reading Dan's post. Bought them today. Looking for better handling.

I would like to thank everyone for your feedback in this thread. We are monitoring the thread and poll closely and value your input.

Currently we are approaching 2000 views and approximately 70 votes. If you are viewing the thread please take a moment to complete the poll.

If you own a Viper with Tuner III skis and have been reading the thread please vote as well.

Thank you,

JMS@Yamaha

Sidewinder Model: XTX 137 LE
Track Length: 137" 1.75 track
Studded:
No
Type of rider: Aggressive trail rider here in the UP of Michigan.

Running stock skis for now. Sled pushes in the corners with loose snow. Undecided on which aftermarket skis to go with. Trying to get sled to stop blowing belts and loosing rpm's on top end before putting any money towards skis.

Sidewinder Model: Sidewinder XTX LE 137
Track Length: 137
Studded:
NO
Type of rider: Trail Rider

Didnt even try the stock carbide, went with 6" Studboys on outside and 6" Shaper bars, works ok, steering is hard but still pushes a little in soft snow. I have not had a chance to ride it after some suspension tuning.

LTX-DX
Woody's 6 and stock 4s no studs.

Very jittery on early morning rides on frozen slop which happen a lot this year.(crap winter in WI) Never really felt comfortable all season because corner to corner I wasn't sure what to expect. I did notice the best handling was when the trails were a little choppy in the corners. The turners hooked up really good then! Freshly groomed hard trails were the worst for me. When I was the first one on a groomed trail steering was super heavy. If there were a few sleds a head of me the front was very darty tracking other sleds. Again, the best handling for me was when the trails were a little choppy. I have 4000 miles on my 2014 Viper with 6 inch duals and I never had an issue. Will have to bend over and buy new skis next season. It will be on santa's list!

Last edited by a moderator:
SR Viper Model: LTX-LE
Track Length: 137
Studded:
Yes
Type of rider: Trail Rider in eastern UP and Tip of the Mitt.

Running Curve Skis with Slim Jim Dually 4" carbide, going with 6" carbides when replacements are needed.

2016 Viper LTX LE
Studded
Trail rider
Had tried the tuners on my Vector. Put Curve skis with 6" Slim Jims on at time of purchase. Do not like Tuners at all.

SR Viper Model: RTX SE
Track Length: 129
Type of Rider: Aggressive trail - Central WI and UP

I gave the Tuners a shot when the sled was new. They worked OK. I got them to handle quite well in most conditions which would likely be good enough for most riders. But I had to run aggressive carbides, and pull up the limiter strap to make that happen. Hard pack conditions they were fine, but loose snow and powder, they were terrible. But switching to the C&A razors with Slim Jim Duallys, I got them to handle just as well (with easy steering) in hard pack conditions. They also performed great in loose snow and powder. In addition, I could do all this will letting the limiter strap back out, which gave me more weight transfer and made the front end more 'playful'.

Viper Model: LTX-LE 2017
Track Length:137
Studded:
No running 1.75 backcountry
Type of rider: Aggressive Trail Rider.

Ran first 60 miles on sled with tunners and stock carbides and 6" woodys. Sled was all over the place. Per lots of reading and sound advice switched to curves with 6"slim jims. Ride is perfect. Tracks like on rails, no push or darting.

Viper Model: LTX-LE 2016
Track Length:137
Studded:
No
Type of rider: Aggressive Trail Rider.

Wife's sled. Same tunner set up running stock carbides with 6" woodys. Wife would say sled darted a bit and pushed in corners. At time blew it of cause I was still on old 2 stroke viper LOL! As soon as I rode mine changed both to curves and 6" slim jims. Wife loves the ride, she out rides me a lot of times.

SR Viper Model: RTX SE
Type of Rider: Aggressive trail

Running stock skis and carbides. I initially found steering very heavy on loose or groomed trail conditions. Almost to the point that I thought something in my steering was binding up. Even though steering was heavy the sled still pushed in corners. I added some preload to mid shock which helped somewhat with the heavy steering but sled pushed even worse. I'll be buying different skis next year. Just not sure what to go with.

2015 xtx
50/50 trail/off trail
I ran stock skis one season with two 6 inch carbides on each ski and didn't mind them switched to 8 inch sly dogs for the float and they handle better than the tuners even on the trail

SR Viper Model: RTX LE
Studded:
No
Type of rider: Aggressive Trail Rider

Tried shapers, tried pulling limiter up, nothing made these skis steer with confidence or consistency.

Curve skis getting it done for me now.

Last edited:

Back