• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Poll: What Skis are you running on your Sidewinder?

Part 1: What Skis are you running on your Sidewinder? Part 2: Pick one of the choices if not stock.

• Total voters

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
Yamaha is looking for your feedback on the Tuner III skis found on Sidewinder Trail models. Please answer Part 1 (Skis you are running) and Part 2 (If not running stock carbides) of the poll and add additional information via post in thread.

If you reply to the thread please start the post with the following format:

Sidewinder Model:
Track Length:
Studded:
Yes or No
Type of rider: Ex. Aggressive Trail Rider.

Please only post what we asking about above!! Any other side posts or topic changers will be removed. If you would like to discuss the poll please ref poll and start a new topic thread.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Model: 2017 SideWinder LTX LE
Track Length: 137
Studded: Pre-molded Studded Track
Type of rider: Aggressive Trail Rider.

I have tried the tuners many times and with many versions of carbides to find that they only work fairly well in hard pack conditions, do not float well off trail, and will not hold their line in sandy lake effect style snow. My ideal choice for all the different conditions that I ride on is a Curve Ski with 6.5 Slim Jim Duallys by Woodys. This combination will give me zero darting, hold their line very well on long loose rail grades but still carve fairly decent in the corners with little push. The keel is not overly aggressive for hard packed conditions so it will not have a lot of steering effort as some other more aggressive keels will have.

Sidewinder Model: Rtx le
Track Length: 129
Studded:
4/2 for now down the center 1.450s

Ride like I stole it. Faster the better. Will be replacing skis next fall. 6 inch Woodys down the center. Works great on hard pack. Can't turn in 4 inches of powder or more.

Sidewinder Model: 17 xtx se. Track length: 141 x 1.75. Studs: NONE
Skis: C&A Razors
Cardides: Slim jim dulley's Type of rider: Some off trail, mostly mild Trail riding 50-200 miles a day.

Feals like the tuners still push in corners and are nervous on straights. Seams to float rather then cut. Did not like how it seamed like skis were dragging down sled. After swapping out skis, sled feels more like front end is slicing through snow. I can hold a line anywhere with one hand. Would love to compare with Curves, since it seams most people went that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidewinder Model: LTX LE
Studded:
Yes 1.325x144 3 per row in the middle
Type of rider: Moderate to Aggressive Trail Rider.

My dad and I tried the tuners on our 2015 Vipers no studs, 6" Bergstrom TriplePoints and hard weld round bars. While they worked well in hard pack they sucked in all other conditions. Major push in the turns. I Switched to Curve XS and never looked back. Night and day confidence inspiring difference. My dad stuck with the tuners. When we switched to Winders we had the dealer put them on as part of the pdi setup. There was no way we were going to use those worthless tuner skis. They may have worked well on the Japan Built sleds, but on the Arctic Cat Pro Cross they are useless.

Sidewinder Model: LTX-LE
Track length: 137
Studded: Yes. with 144 studs down the center. 1.25 length
Type of rider: Trail rider

I have ran the Tuners with stock carbides for 1000 miles (they now need replacing). I only ran these because that's what how it came. Stock suspension settings made it feel heavy in the turns. So, I adjusted it and got it to feel lighter. But too little ski pressure as the carbides wore. I had to adjust again to add more pressure, but still wouldn't turn good. It also darts too much. I plan to start over with different skis (most likely Ski doo pilots) next season.

Sidewinder Model: 2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
Track Length: 137"
Studded: Studded
Type of rider: Aggressive Trail Riding

I tried the tuners with 3 different types/brands of carbides and over a dozen different variations from length on inside to outside. I like "tuning" and setting up all of my sleds to best meet my riding style. No matter how much I played with the suspension and carbide setups I could not get them to perform well or consistent in more than one condition at a time. I could get them ok on hard pack and then as trails wore down it would go right back to poor unconfident cornering characteristics. The off trail floatation also didn't seem the best even for a trail ski imo. I switched to curve skis and the improvement was immediate. With no major need for suspension adjustment, just a single good stud boy 6" shaper bar carbide on each ski and it handles like it's on rails compared to the tuner 3 skis. It stays consistent and predictable on hard packed groomed trails to loose meely snow. No concerns with making adjustments or having to change riding style and rider approach as trails change throughout the day. They are also very capable off trail when the need to traverse deep snow arises.

Sidewinder Model LTX LE 137
Studded:Yes 144 down the center
Type of rider Aggressive trail rider

Curve skis with Studboy 6" carbides, a little darting at times, turn much better in loose snow and in spring granular snow than tuners or cat skis.
Next season going to try slim jims

Sidewinder Model RTX SE 129
Studded:Yes 144 inside and outside bands

I felt the sled pushed to much and heavy steering. I changed the carbides and bought Snowtrackers. I have easier steering ,but still pushes in soft snow trail conditions.

Sidewinder Model: LTX-SE
Studded:
Yes

Pilot 6.9 with 6" shaper and 4" stock carbides. LOVE!

Sidewinder Model LTX LE 137
Studded: No

SLP Mohawk Skis. After adjusting the rear front shock to lighten the steering effort I get minimal darting with positive steering.

Sidewinder ltx le
Studded 3per bar
Aggressive trail rider

5.7pilots took the heavy steering away and eliminated the darting and no push now. Can ride into corners with confidence that sled will turn and stick to trail. Tuners were very pushy in soft conditions and awfully darty when trails were tight . Agree tuners are not the ski for this snowmobile

Ltx le , ice attack track, with tuners, 6 inch and 4 inch woodies. Not a good ski. Heavy steering even after adjustments, no floatation in deep snow, doesn't turn well on soft trails either. Guess the only time they are good is off the line because the skis are not touching the snow. Going to try my simmons off my apex next year or 6.9s. I mainly ride trails in Quebec.

Back