• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"Yamaha" Throttle Lever Install on Viper

We now how some of these kits in stock for first time. Up until now, we were getting them in limited quantities and every one that arrived was spoken for. All outstanding orders for these have shipped and there are some left over. ;)!

20160121_183957.jpg
Just put mine on thanks

Okay this season I absolutely loved the thumb warmer and the lever does feel right but I was never happy with the pull. To me and others who tried it was a very hard throttle pull. Harder than stock. You do get used to it but after feeling how easy the pull is on Sidewinder even with stock lever vs the Viper I decided to take a chance.
THIS MOD IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND NOT AUTHORIZED BY BARN OF PARTS OR ME. BEWARE OF THE RISK
Here is where the tang for throttle spring on LEFT side rests stock. Left means sitting on the sled which is important.
DSC00791.jpg

Throttle Spring.jpg

If you use a pick and just pry the tang toward the cable it will snap down to here. This makes the throttle about 25% easier at least. Seems safe to me but its your call.
Do not try this on right spring because there is nowhere for the tang to come to rest. Spring would not be doing anything and could bind.
DSC00794.jpg

I did this mod on my sled and ride it the entire year! ( around 4 oookm) No spring or cable problem ...
But it is DAMN stiff not realy softer or free at all even whit the mod
By the way your throtle will be a bit slower to come back....

I am done whit this lever! I am gona get used to AC lever

Last edited:
I did this mod on my sled and ride it the entire year! ( around 4 oookm) No spring or cable problem ...

Did you try what I did? It is much better. Feels just like Phazer lever now. I am happy but was definitely more to this swap than anticipated.

Did you try what I did? It is much better. Feels just like Phazer lever now. I am happy but was definitely more to this swap than anticipated.
Yes ! I was looking last summer to make it " softer". I am not satisfied,even whit the throtle wheel spring mod!

Sorry it was not clear,i am not very god in english! I try my best! Lol

Last edited:
Yes ! I was looking last summer to make it " softer". I am not satisfied,even whit the throtle wheel spring mod!

Sorry it was not clear,i am not very god in english! I try my best! Lol
Ok I understand. Well the spring mod does help some. If you come up with a better throttle than stock let us know. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I never really thought of the pull being much harder. Its definitely a little more than the japan FI sleds, but I'd say right in line with the carbed vectors. I've never had an issue with pull on any of the carbed sleds. It was the ergonomic feel and reach of the cat lever that bugged me. We had a fluke snowstorm 2 weeks ago. I took my son out on a viper that I had here in the shop with the cat lever. I only rode 40 miles and my hand was bugging me.

I wonder if there is a variance in spring tensions for some reason. Cat tolerance and quality control isn't as consistent as Yamaha.

Ok I understand. Well the spring mod does help some. If you come up with a better throttle than stock let us know. Thanks.
I was looking to do your spring mod last night. Unfortunately, I think the spring set up on my 14 rtx is different than yours. Does not appear that I can do it. I took pictures and will try to attach them here..
20190206_110748.jpg

Cannondale,
To me, yours does not look to have the same boss standing out for the spring? Please look at your picture, then mine and see what you think. I really hope to do this. I think I am going to pull it over the boss tonight and see what happens. Worse case, it does not catch on anything and I will have to get it back to where it is now.....
Thanks

RAMSOMAIR,
Good plan. Dot sure why it is so dirty. Must be some dirty snow I have been riding through... :)

I have looked at my picture vs Cannondale's multiple times. I am now wondering if mine has already been moved and that is why it did not look like I could do it.... hmmm

I have looked at my picture vs Cannondale's multiple times. I am now wondering if mine has already been moved and that is why it did not look like I could do it.... hmmm
Nope yours is in stock position. Remember only the left throttle body as sitting on sled can have this mod. So the right one in your picture. I have hood off so will get better pics. Remember this mod is at your own risk.

Back