• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Year in review

MDGFLHR

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
Mods 144 1.450 picks Ulmer stage 1 clutch kit Ulmers upgraded rollers tuner 3 skis with snowtrackers
I'm coming off a 2011 Apex SE which I handed down to my son. My first ride I noticed real heavy steering but loosened the front shock Springs let out my limiter strap all the way and tightened my center shock and it's way better. The ride is hands down better than my Apex. I weigh around 250 with all gear on and I'm still at the soft setting on the rear suspension. It handles the bumps both big and small. I've bottomed hard only a handful of times and no stud marks at all. Handling in general is much flatter in the corners but the Tuners leave alot to be desired. My Apex with Curves rails so in the future I believe a set of Curves will go on my Sidewinder. This sled has run flawlessly for me all season. The motor never once disappointed me. I will say down low seems a little flat but clutching did help some. I saw over 120 on the speedo several times with a best of 126 across the lake. I'm at over 1100 miles and still on the same belt. I also noticed in a little softer snow and fresh snow conditions where it's not ideal for top speed I still managed much better speed compared to my Apex. Racing well didn't get many chances other than the people I ride with which included a 09 Turbo Cat 800 etecs other Apexs and Nytro. It was almost comical when trying to get someone to play around on the lake because no one wanted to play. I kinda begged a guy on a new 850 doo but he wouldn't have it. Kept saying he was still in break in and all. Maybe next year. I will say my sidewinder walked everything and with ease. I was even expecting a little more from the Cat. I'd let my son get a 4 or 5 sled jump from a 40 mph roll on and was actually surprised how well I reeled him in and walked by him. He said when I passed him he was at 115 on the speedo. The best I saw on GPS was 118 mph. That run my speedo said 122.
So all in all I really love everything about this sled. Riding with a bad back wasn't always fun but will say my back always felt good after a ride on my Sidewinder. My knees were my only complaint. I did noticed when I sat on a BTX in the showroom the seat felt higher than my ltx. I may in the future upgrade to a BTX seat if they are indeed a little higher. The only thing I miss on my Apex is the sweet sound the Sidewinder has nothing on it. I may upgrade the exhaust but worry about the noise and wardens here in Maine where I ride. At some point I'll probably upgrade to at least a 250 hp tune along with exhaust. I also like Ulmers cold air intake kit.
So all in all I believe yamaha has hit a home run with the Sidewinder. It rides excellent handles excellent and has power so smooth anyone could ride one. Like I said only complaint is it feels a little low on the bottom. I would also like a little more transfer but I haven't messed around a whole lot with it. The season is about done in Maine maybe one more ride or two ifor I head way north. Anyone thinking of buying a Sidewinder I promise you from my experience you will be happy. Ride safe everyone

Last edited:

2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
Mods 144 1.450 picks Ulmer stage 1 clutch kit Ulmers upgraded rollers tuner 3 skis with
I'm coming off a 2011 Apex SE which I handed down to my son. My first ride I noticed real heavy steering but loosened the front shock Springs let out my limiter strap all the way and tightened my center shock and it's way better. The ride is hands down better than my Apex. I weigh around 250 with all gear on and I'm still at the soft setting on the rear suspension. It handles the bumps both big and small. I've bottomed hard only a handful of times and no stud marks at all. Handling in general is much flatter in the corners but the Tuners leave alot to be desired. My Apex with Curves rails so in the future I believe a set of Curves will go on my Sidewinder. This sled has run flawlessly for me all season. The motor never once disappointed me. I will say down low seems a little flat but clutching did help some. I saw over 120 on the speedo several times with a best of 126 across the lake. I'm at over 1100 miles and still on the same belt. I also noticed in a little softer snow and fresh snow conditions where it's not ideal for top speed I still managed much better speed compared to my Apex. Racing well didn't get many chances other than the people I ride with which included a 09 Turbo Cat 800 etecs other Apexs and Nytro. It was almost comical when trying to get someone to play around on the lake because no one wanted to play. I kinda begged a guy on a new 850 doo but he wouldn't have it. Kept saying he was still in break in and all. Maybe next year. I will say my sidewinder walked everything and with ease. I was even expecting a little more from the Cat. I'd let my son get a 4 or 5 sled jump from a 40 mph roll on and was actually surprised how well I reeled him in and walked by him. He said when I passed him he was at 115 on the speedo. The best I saw on GPS was 118 mph. That run my speedo said 122.
So all in all I really love everything about this sled. Riding with a bad back wasn't always fun but will say my back always felt good after a ride on my Sidewinder. My knees were my only complaint. I did noticed when I sat on a BTX in the showroom the seat felt higher than my ltx. I may in the future upgrade to a BTX seat if they are indeed a little higher. The only thing I miss on my Apex is the sweet sound the Sidewinder has nothing on it. I may upgrade the exhaust but worry about the noise and wardens here in Maine where I ride. At some point I'll probably upgrade to at least a 250 hp tune along with exhaust. I also like Ulmers cold air intake kit.
So all in all I believe yamaha has hit a home run with the Sidewinder. It rides excellent handles excellent and has power so smooth anyone could ride one. Like I said only complaint is it feels a little low on the bottom. I would also like a little more transfer but I haven't messed around a whole lot with it. The season is about done in Maine maybe one more ride or two ifor I head way north. Anyone thinking of buying a Sidewinder I promise you from my experience you will be happy. Ride safe everyone
Thanks for the feedback, nice write up.

2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
Mods 144 1.450 picks Ulmer stage 1 clutch kit Ulmers upgraded rollers tuner 3 skis with snowtrackers
Thanks also. I'd have to agree with you!

2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
Nice write up,i sure hope we are not done just yet,here in maine. As I am about ready to finally get the mtx/ltx-LE on the snow,all I want is maybe 300-500 miles and I will be happy,its been a work in progress sense my crash dec. 7th in my back yard,when the throttle stuck WO,and I hit a tree,that ended my sleds young life,so sense Yamaha has not had any parts for the LTX-LE even now,so I was forced to make due with what I could get now,not next year,heck the 18,s are being shown for snowcheck and we still cant get any parts for any thing shorter than now the 153 BTX,and that just came on the fish. So maybe next week it will be finished enough to ride at my place in Patten,they had there first crosscountry race there last week,because of the savage boys who racethat circuite,out in NY area they lost most of there snow,and he said come to my home town of patten maine,we have plenty of snow,and the race was right behind my house,sorta cool,wish I was there to watch it.

It takes a little bit to set up this sled at first, especially for bigger riders but once you find that sweet spot it truly gets better the more miles you put on across many conditions. At one point this past weekend I hit a stretch of moguls and just hammered through to a point where i thought i had totally lost it, but the shock package and setup was amazing. It just soaked up the major hit when I missed flying over a third mogul and cased badly. On smooth fast trails, just adjust the dampers and that's it. This sled handles a much wider range of conditions very well and is very comfortable at the end of long ride.

Back