• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

yet another Trail Tank Question

BordnBill

Expert
Is there anyway to identify whether I have the older or newer model trail tank? I bought the sled used back in January and the owner of the sled at the time thought it was the older model. I bought a 4mm thumbscrew kit from trailtank since on the website it says the older model takes the 4mm set. Received the 4mm set and they were too small. So I ordered the 5mm set and those work fine. But the original owner swears it's the older model. I emailed trailtanks about it a couple times a few months ago, and heard nothing back. The reason I'm asking all this is, I summerized my sled yesterday, and had to remove the tank to fog the cylinders. Once again, after 4 hours of trying to get the tank to fit, it was epic fail. It needs to be pushed forward more and I can't get it there. Where I need it to sit, it causes the plastic breather to bend over more than I'm comfortable with. If I do have the older model, I will purchase a new model, if it's a better fit and if it makes installing it much easier. Obviously I would ask TrailTanks about it, but based on previous non communication on their behalf, it was better to go to the "pros" here. Thanks in advance for all the help.

I think that the first generation trailtanks didn't accommodate for the coolant lines for the tunnel heat exchanger. It's possible that the tank may be hanging up on those lines. Check to see if their is an indent in the tank to allow space in that area. I think there is more than 2 generations of the trailtank though.

The last time I reinstalled my trailtank, I used a couple of ratchet straps to pull the tank into place. I've also heard of guys loosening the bolts on the steering gate to allow more space too.

Grimm said:
I think that the first generation trailtanks didn't accommodate for the coolant lines for the tunnel heat exchanger. It's possible that the tank may be hanging up on those lines. Check to see if their is an indent in the tank to allow space in that area. I think there is more than 2 generations of the trailtank though.

The last time I reinstalled my trailtank, I used a couple of ratchet straps to pull the tank into place. I've also heard of guys loosening the bolts on the steering gate to allow more space too.

I need to check for the indent for the coolant lines. I don't have the stock radiator on top either. I have a coolant bottle that feeds the rail coolers to my rear U-cooler. Would the indent be on the left side of the tank?

When using the rachet straps, how do you hook them up? Does your breather tube interfere with the steering gate? I did loosen the gate too, and it bought me some extra space, but not enough to move it forward. I'm worried that I will pinch or break the breather tube on the gate.

Use a shop vac to suck the tank in some, and it should slide in place. Also, you may need to loosen/or take off the bolts for the uprights.

Also Seth at Trail Tank is very upstanding, give him a call, and he will call you back. I think he is a one or two man show, very busy.

swelly said:
Use a shop vac to suck the tank in some, and it should slide in place. Also, you may need to loosen/or take off the bolts for the uprights.

Also Seth at Trail Tank is very upstanding, give him a call, and he will call you back. I think he is a one or two man show, very busy.

What I'm worried about as well is how the steering gate is pinching my overflow tube.

I doubled my over flow as not to lose fuel but sometimes fuel sits in the extra bend and does not vent well but I have had no problems and I do not suspect that you would have much pinching going on. Loosen the 4 bolts that hold the steering gate. I used ratchet straps around my front spindles but put a 2x4 on the outside of them as not to mar them. I would imagine if you had something else to attach the strap to in front the sled that would work to.
Also the shop vac plan would work as well.

I connect each end of my ratchet straps to my A arms and the other end to the very back lip of the tank near the bolt holes. Then I crank the straps until I can get the bolts to line up through the holes.

Regarding the vent tube, is the plastic nipple bending or the tube? Disconnect it while installing the tank if you feel uncomfortable, and reconnect afterwards.

This year, I rerouted my vent tube (due to fuel overflow problems) and looped it twice around my steering shaft and back down the left side to the stock position by the secondary clutch.

Grimm said:
I connect each end of my ratchet straps to my A arms and the other end to the very back lip of the tank near the bolt holes. Then I crank the straps until I can get the bolts to line up through the holes.

Regarding the vent tube, is the plastic nipple bending or the tube? Disconnect it while installing the tank if you feel uncomfortable, and reconnect afterwards.

This year, I rerouted my vent tube (due to fuel overflow problems) and looped it twice around my steering shaft and back down the left side to the stock position by the secondary clutch.

It's the plastic nipple bending. I can disconnect the hose from the nipple when installing, but it is right at the bottom of the steering gate causing it to bend over.

Hey bill. Sounds like that Trail tank kicks your butt some times. Not sure what the deal is but that is the older trail tank. Because you do not have the cooler lines that go under the tank there really is no need to get the newer one. Sounds like you need to just loosen the steering hoop and push it forward. This will allow the tank to move forward more and line up better.

Something doesn't sound right if the nipple is touching the steering gate and bending. I don't remember mine doing that ever. Can you take a picture? Almost sounds like the tank is too forward in the upper steering gate.

Maybe this sled has had some previous impact causing your issue.

Got the bitch on there yesterday. Emptied all the gas, used rachet strips to pull if forward.

Phil, I always loosened the steering hoop when installing it, but could never get that extra 1/4".

Grimm, I think right now that I used the rachet strap method, the nipple barely touches the steering gate. Not sure what I was doing wrong before, but when trying to push it forward, the nipple would get caught on the steering gate and bend it over. The rachet strap method seems to do pull the bottom forward rather than the whole tank.

Either way... the tank is in, and all the plastics finally line up. Now time to put it in the shop for summer and let her sleep until winter comes around. Of course I will go back occasionally to do some mods, but that's a given.

philsummers21 said:
Hey bill. If you ever feel the need to sell her let me know. Wouldnt mind having that one back and putting my Apex motor in it.

Will let you know... but as of now, I don't think I can let it go. I love it too much. I need to ride it more. Only got about 5 rides on it this year. After I bought it from you, we had no new snow for about 2 months. Started riding her in the beginning of March.

That sux. We can still ride here. About 9' still on the hill. This was an epic snow year. Put a turbo on that thing and really enjoy it. Boost is SOOO addicting

philsummers21 said:
That sux. We can still ride here. About 9' still on the hill. This was an epic snow year. Put a turbo on that thing and really enjoy it. Boost is SOOO addicting

Lucky you. We got more snow in March, then it stopped and turned to crap really quick. Got nothing now.

Back