• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex not running after oil change & Battery relocation.

Firemann32

Expert
Website
www.swmosportbikes.com
Of course we are suppose to leave on the 16th for our yearly western trip and I decide to change my oil and while I'm doing that I decided to relocate the battery since its such a dumb spot for it and the starter relay, anyway.

As a note the sled ran fine before I started all this.

I built a custom under tunnel exhaust a few years ago then I had a custom tunnel cover built and got a Mountain Mod seat the following summer.

Since I have the room under the seat I relocated the battery under the seat. (see picture)

photobucket-4754-1360284256871.jpg

I ran red 6 gauge wire from the battery to the starter relay and then ran a new piece of wire from the relay to the starter, since I relocated it just over the frame above the oil tank.

I then ran black 6 gauge wire from the battery to the oil tank mounting bolt where I bolted it and the OEM Negative cable to each other in the bolt hole holding the oil tank on. The negative cable is still connected to the motor at the starter, so it's actually connected to the frame and the motor. (see picture)

photobucket-4825-1360284269039.jpg

Made sure there was oil in it, put the air box, headlights back on and hooked up the key. Fired it up and it immediately died tried restarting several times then I realized I wasn't hearing the fuel pump. Pulled out the meter and started checking and there's no power at the pump but I can hear the relay clicking.

Started metering the relay next, I have power in but no power out to the pump wire. tried tapping the relay and nothing, still starts then dies and no fuel pump running.

Still no codes at this time.

Swapped one of the other relays to see if that did anything and still just starts and dies.

After I did that I started getting a 43 error code, not sure if its just a coincidence that it started throwing a code when I swapped the relays but I'm at a loss now.

Like I said it started up and ran perfectly before I relocated the battery and I can't find anything that's disconnected so my only guess is that I'm somehow not getting a good enough ground........ I did do an ohm check and its the same from the bolted connection to the block as it is at the bolted connection.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Seriously no one has any suggestions.......

I tried moving the ground and that didn't change anything.

I did swap relays and the code went away, so I guess that's good.

I also went about bought a new relay and still nothing, I didn't relay expect that to fix it though.

What I know is that I'm getting power to the relay but I'm not getting anything out of it, it clicks but nothing, even the new one. So there has to be something that tells the relay to "allow" the fuel pump to turn on, one of those other wires has to close the circuit.

I guess I had the cables hooked up wrong on the starter relay, although it's the same as my 660 Raptors and they run fine. I started looking online for pictures and found a pic with the cables still attached. Go figure........two days worth of frustration.

Its a old post. I know I missed it. Probably reason there wasnt a quick answer is the "relay" gets confusing since the starter relay(big cables) should really be called a solenoid. The other relays which also can cause trouble are the small ones.

Looks like the OP figured out the power needed by some of the small relays is drawn from the battery power at the big "solenoid". Would have thought it would have fired with the key in crank position and died right away when he let go of key and it went back to run though. Must be some other circuit involved that "knows' its just being cranked? Dont know how it would know that?

Is a really nice sled Fireman. Glad you figured it out.

Back