• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

0° fingers & 78° belt

stevewithOCD

Yamaha, Make me Come Back
Country
USA
Snowmobile
900 R
2006 Apex RTX
You heard it here first. 78° belt. (actually i texted at least 6 people first)
First i must apologize to my TY faithful that i promised i would test 3 different belts this weekend.
I bought a new 8JP, Ultimax XS825 & a Gates carbon.

My plan was this:

1. measure circumference
2. measure top & bottom widths
3. weigh them (don't ask why, my scale looked lonely)
4. record each belt temps
5. record each belt rpm's
6. comment on belt dust & overall feel if there was anything to actually "feel"
----i actually brought white socks to show how much belt dust each had

Well my trusty Fluke Temp gun & I headed to Maine for a short weekend. I had a TY story written in my head with facts, humor & just downright useful/useless info.
The problem was 0° was the noon temps! Trails were perfect, but a little wind at 0° makes SteveO's phalanges get cold. And scared! Peeing at 0° was very disheartening & can ruin a weak man's self-esteem.
So i decided NOT to change belts & pull my panel off at every stop.

BUT the 2 times i did, i came up with very surprising numbers.
At 7° ambient temp on some very good trail pulls, i measured 105° on the belt.
At 0° this morning on normal trail riding i measured 78°!

My belt was colder then ME! There was NO belt dust from my 250 miles!

Now here is where my vents come in to play.
I believe i have improved my clutch efficiency, but there is no way i got temps this low without my vents.

Again, belt mileage with a reasonably stock set-up is my goal & i believe is what most are looking for.
Our crazy mad scientist KNAPP is going all out with completely different clutches which should tell us how bad our clutches may be compared to our sister Cat companies' stuff, while i talk about pissin' in the cold.
BUT, if my skinny (and tight) #*$&@ can get over 1000 miles per belt with a tune & studs........TAKE NOTICE!

I did record all the new belt data & will post it tomorrow.
Right now after 2 days riding below 0 & 6 hours on the road, i need to rebuild my self esteem...

Lmao
Haven’t posted in while - Knapps reply got me out! Awesome

I love that skit!
Mike is coming around.
He is slowly blossoming into a TY butterfly...............with a turbo!

Can anyone find a pic of a butterfly with a turbo or rocket mounted to it. That could be Mike's new Avatar.

Steve, I read your post twice so I wouldn't ash a stupid question. I don't see what belt you started with?

Nice job OCD!
So can we conclude...
(Vents+57.5mm offset -0 degrees)/(Swollen Bladder+cold phalanges - shrunken member)=
Longer belt life with reduced self esteem?

Absolute Genius!

;)!

Nice job OCD!
So can we conclude...
(Vents+57.5mm offset -0 degrees)/(Swollen Bladder+cold phalanges - shrunken member)=
Longer belt life with reduced self esteem?

Absolute Genius!

;)!

LOL

OK, here are the measured numbers for these belts: If you think this is a stupid post then go to the "SRX top speed" fiasco & have fun.
These are just facts........and an opinion later. I forgot to measure thickness & angle, but i might check next week.

C=circumference
T=top of belt width
B=inside belt width
W=weight (that's right i friggin' weighed them)

8JP:
C=44 3/16'' to 44 1/4'' (i measured 2)
T=34.4mm
B=27.8mm
W=1lb 4.4oz

Gates Carbon:
C=44 1/8''
T=35.5mm
B=27.75mm
W=1lb 5.90z

Ultimate XS-825:
C=44 3/8''
T=34mm
B=28.5mm
W=1lb 3.7oz

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN.
Who knows-------Who cares-------i have fun

Now the opinion:
I did notice the Ultimax is 1/4'' inch longer then the Carbon. A 1/16'' is probably not noticeable, but 1/4'' may be. It was definitely easier to install.
The Ultimax "looks" like the best made belt. I know this sounds stupid, but it just looks like a real well made belt. The Carbon seems to be more flexible in hand I:E softer. Which explains why the drag racers like this belt.

I promise next week i will have some test results.
Millinocket, Maine is getting more snow then they can handle with real cold temps.

If i was a gambling man, i'd say the Ultimax will win this war.

TY CHALLENGE:
Let's hear what everybody's over-under is for these belts on the OCD machine this year.
I'd say 8jp is 1100 miles.
Carbon is 900
UltiMax is 1500

P.S: If you guys put some $ down to bet like the Super Bowl............i'll ride until they SNAP! Even if i have to put 5000 miles on this year!

Last edited:
OK, here are the measured numbers for these belts: If you think this is a stupid post then go to the "SRX top speed" fiasco & have fun.
These are just facts........and an opinion later. I forgot to measure thickness & angle, but i might check next week.

C=circumference
T=top of belt width
B=inside belt width
W=weight (that's right i friggin' weighed them)

8JP:
C=44 3/16'' to 44 1/4'' (i measured 2)
T=34.4mm
B=27.8mm
W=1lb 4.4oz

Gates Carbon:
C=44 1/8''
T=35.5mm
B=27.75mm
W=1lb 5.90z

Ultimate XS-825:
C=44 3/8''
T=34mm
B=28.5mm
W=1lb 3.7oz

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN.
Who knows-------Who cares-------i have fun

Now the opinion:
I did notice the Ultimax is 1/4'' inch longer then the Carbon. A 1/16'' is probably not noticeable, but 1/4'' may be. It was definitely easier to install.
The Ultimax "looks" like the best made belt. I know this sounds stupid, but it just looks like a real well made belt. The Carbon seems to be more flexible in hand I:E softer. Which explains why the drag racers like this belt.

I promise next week i will have some test results.
Millinocket, Maine is getting more snow then they can handle with real cold temps.

If i was a gambling man, i'd say the Ultimax will win this war.

TY CHALLENGE:
Let's hear what everybody's over-under is for these belts on the OCD machine this year.
I'd say 8jp is 1100 miles.
Carbon is 900
UltiMax is 1500

P.S: If you guys put some $ down to bet like the Super Bowl............i'll ride until they SNAP! Even if i have to put 5000 miles on this year!

I got a Andrew Jackson on the Carlisle!

I believe Timken owns Carlisle.
I see some of the Ultimax belts are made by Carlisle & some Ultimax belts just say Timken.
Either way, me likes the looks of it. I will run it next weekend. After all my testing, i just may keep running this until it blows.......or doesn't

Back