• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

02 sx viper 700 any good

Looking at one for my kid ,4700 miles any big problems with these sleds ?
These are a very nice machine,my cousin has a red 02 with over 10,000 miles on original engine which has never been apart&still runs&goes great.they are old tech so don’t expect the best suspension but for a durable sled they are awesome

very good sleds. they corner like they are on rails! Rear end is A bit rough,even back then,but im sure your son will love it.

Great sled but requires a bit of extra maintenance of cleaning the power valves
Great sled but requires a bit of extra maintenance of cleaning the power valves

Yes yearly would be best but good oil does help. If not cleaned they can gum up and be difficult to remove and obviously not work properly. That can also break the cables that operate them. Not a difficult job once you have done it a couple of times. Certainly wouldn’t hold me back from buying one. There is also a Venom 600 which looks the same but has no power valves

Snobill , They are a great sled ! There is a guy in Nekoosa that has Three of them and knows almost everything about them . He had one that went over 18,000 miles before the bottom end let loose . If you end up getting one and have questions I can give you his email. The shocks can be rebuilt ! The rear suspension can be made to ride pretty well. This the only down fall for this sled .

Looking at one for my kid ,4700 miles any big problems with these sleds ?
Bullet proof, had an 03 Viper ER I purchased new and at 4,500 miles traded even up for a 03 RX1 ER with 2k miles (Jan 06) that was in need of a track. My buddy I ride with has a 04 Venom ER, he purchased same time I purchased my 03 Viper, it is currently at 8k miles with no issues, since he purchased his 16 SR Viper DX it is now a loaner sled.

Last edited:
They are a good sled. Go for it. Plenty of suspension for a kid. Besides. They don't care!!! that's what my Kid told me one time.
They are just happy to be on the flipper.

My ears miss that sweet sounding pv'd 3cyl 02 Viper but my back does not.
Rebuild and revalve the shocks. Look up BTV's post on the 2 smoke side on setting up the pro action skid. This does help a lot. Stretching it to 136 and using Apex skis also improves the handling.

Back