• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX-1

glas0233

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 yamaha rx1, Past sleds: 1990 Arctic Cat Prowler, 1996 Arctic cat 440z, 2004 Ski Doo Renegade 800, 2005 Arctic Cat M7
Hey guys new to the thread had a couple of questions! I just traded my 05 Arctic Cat M7 for an 03 RX-1 with 2600 miles on it. The sled ran great when I first got it, everything was fine and still is, I'm prtty sure it is running like crap now because of something I did. I added a 6 inch riser to it and replaced the throttle cable, brake line, choke cable and parking brake cable. The throttle cable is giving me some trouble, it is 6 inches normal than stock, but still when I turn it wants to rev, also, when I start the sled now, it will idle for awhile and then the engine light and oil light will come on and blink continuously. I checked the oil and it seems to be at the right level. Any idea what could cause this? did I install one of the new cables wrong? any help would be appreciated thanks!

Jake
Minnesota

Hey guys new to the thread had a couple of questions! I just traded my 05 Arctic Cat M7 for an 03 RX-1 with 2600 miles on it. The sled ran great when I first got it, everything was fine and still is, I'm prtty sure it is running like crap now because of something I did. I added a 6 inch riser to it and replaced the throttle cable, brake line, choke cable and parking brake cable. The throttle cable is giving me some trouble, it is 6 inches normal than stock, but still when I turn it wants to rev, also, when I start the sled now, it will idle for awhile and then the engine light and oil light will come on and blink continuously. I checked the oil and it seems to be at the right level. Any idea what could cause this? did I install one of the new cables wrong? any help would be appreciated thanks!

Jake
Minnesota
Sounds like the throttle cable is adjusted too tight. Put some slack in the cable and make sure that when you turn the bars it isnt tied in too tight and pulling on cable. It should have play at the throttle for it to work properly. It is the T.O.R.S. that is your problem. T.O.R.S.=Throttle Over Ride System.. will shut you down when throttle is too tight or sticks from cable being frozen.

Ok sounds good I will look into that, I appreciate the help!

Jake

One other tip for new RX-1 owners is to let it warm up good every time you start it or you will foul the plugs.

Hey guys, so I adjusted the throttle cable so there is slack, it doesn't rev when I turn the handlebars anymore however, I let it warm up, and then after about five minutes of running, the engine light starts blinking continuously and the temp gauge stays on, any other ideas? thanks

Hey guys, so I adjusted the throttle cable so there is slack, it doesn't rev when I turn the handlebars anymore however, I let it warm up, and then after about five minutes of running, the engine light starts blinking continuously and the temp gauge stays on, any other ideas? thanks
do you have the owners manual? It shows the blink codes. if you dont it is free on yamaha web site. here is the link http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/outdoor_manuals.aspx i believe it is just too warm if you ran it that long. see page 5-7 and 5-8

They will overheat quickly if just idling, especially in warm temperatures.

You could try cooling the heat exchangers under the running boards with a garden hose while it is running to see if that helps. I put a gauge on mine and I let it hit 160F before shutting it down and that is probably about 5 minutes, but it should go longer before the lights comes on. Check your antifreeze to make sure it is not watered down too much and feel the heat exchangers to make sure they get hot (there is flow).

When you say temp gauge are you referring to the red temp light or the temp icon in the display area?

Disconnect the plug to temp sensor at the thermostat. Do the same lights and flash sequence occur?

Could be the throttle over ride, make sure the throttle cable is seated in the throttle block.You may have pulled the throttle cable sheth out of the block .make sure its in its grove. happened to me because I had to fiddle with the riser to make it fit right..

Shut it off its overheating!

So I also have 03 RX1, mine has a temp gauge and I notice when i stop for a while and leave the engine running and it goes up to 170 degrees or so , and I start to ride the engine will stutter, I'm assuming this is normal? Or what do you guys think? Thanks

So I also have 03 RX1, mine has a temp gauge and I notice when i stop for a while and leave the engine running and it goes up to 170 degrees or so , and I start to ride the engine will stutter, I'm assuming this is normal? Or what do you guys think? Thanks
It is overheating, it is trying to protect itself to keep from blowing a headgasket or worse. If happens and snow getting on cooler does not correct right away then shut it down and allow to cool.

Put some snow on running boards too, that'll help cool it down.

Back