• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 rx1 electrical problem

brennen

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Rx1
while riding last weekend my sled went into a limp mode for couple seconds. I lost my speedometer then it died. Will not turn over or even click. After it happened I noticed both battery cables were loose, the positive cable was warm and the shorter cable leading to the starter was really warm. No blown fuses. Something was really hot. Tried jumping the battery and still did not even get a click. Also my heated shield positive cable was fried. If anybody has an idea on where I can start would be really appreciated. Thanks

That sucks. I don't have alot of experience with the electrical, but I'd start with something going to ground, sucking big current, and frying something. Check points to chassis, look for no circuit. I've seen folks post information about wear points on the electrical, rubbing, could go to ground there. Front near hood hinge and ECU...around handle bars check routing.

take off the battery and charge and test it. while it is out, try jumping the starter solenoid with a boost pack to see if it will turn over. if the starter will not crank, odds are the solenoid failed on the last start up and the starter was stuck on and is toast. this can burn out a stator as well as catch a sled on fire.

take off the battery and charge and test it. while it is out, try jumping the starter solenoid with a boost pack to see if it will turn over. if the starter will not crank, odds are the solenoid failed on the last start up and the starter was stuck on and is toast. this can burn out a stator as well as catch a sled on fire.

Okay, thank you that's what I will do. Do the starters go out often? I've had a 4 stroke for quite some time now but never encountered anything like this. Thank you

often enough that roctoys made a starter saver that lets you know when the solenoid sticks on keeping the starter engaged as he had seen a few burnt stators from the amperage draw and a sled smoldering from the starter heat. he came up with it to save guys trips when it happens.

x2

I crossed the starter and it did not engage. So guessing I need a new starter. Any recommendations on where to buy one from? Also noticed that the positive cable to the starter had bare wire showing on it.
Where can I get the starter saver from roctoys? Or is there a way to hook a light up to show when it's engaged?

you can go aftermarket if you like but oe lasts way better.

yes rock sells the starter saver but you could rig one up if you want to. rocks is a nice clean install kit whitch is why i like it.

Back