• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 rx1 shows max 9300 rpm. 100mph. Clutch?

ualav8

Expert
Just put a new Yamaha belt on it. Wife has been riding it for a while. In the meantime, I've been riding------the 2 up. Sigh.
Anyway, I'm getting back on the rx. It has about 7500 miles on the original clutches. Time for a clutch rebuild? Engine seems strong otherwise. New plugs and carb cleaning this season. 87 octane no ethanol. Rpm max's out around 9300 rpm and gets up around 100 mph. Suggestions??

I would suggest a clutch disassembly and cleaning as there is probably belt dust and corrosion.

I just had this same issue with my RX1, I took my clutch off, took the cover off, spring, rollers and weights out, I hand scrubbed the entire clutch with dish soap. Mine was covered in a thick coating of grime. I used an entire can of break clean, and then ran it through the dishwasher with no soap and stopped it before the dry cycle. I gained about 800 RPM which put at 9,800. Still could hardly break 100mph on the speedo. I cleaned and synced my carbs, I am now at around 10,100rpm and was able to hit 122 on the speedo this weekend. The sled runs much smoother and noticed a decrease in fuel consumption.

I just had this same issue with my RX1, I took my clutch off, took the cover off, spring, rollers and weights out, I hand scrubbed the entire clutch with dish soap. Mine was covered in a thick coating of grime. I used an entire can of break clean, and then ran it through the dishwasher with no soap and stopped it before the dry cycle. I gained about 800 RPM which put at 9,800. Still could hardly break 100mph on the speedo. I cleaned and synced my carbs, I am now at around 10,100rpm and was able to hit 122 on the speedo this weekend. The sled runs much smoother and noticed a decrease in fuel consumption.
After washing it, do you lube it all? Or is it best just to leave it. Thanks.

After washing it, do you lube it all? Or is it best just to leave it. Thanks.
Just dry,any type of lube with cause belt slip&attract belt dust,dirt etc,some guys put wd40 just on the faces to stop corrosion ( with belt off for storage only!!)it must be cleaned of the faces before installing belt&running again

Just dry,any type of lube with cause belt slip&attract belt dust,dirt etc,some guys put wd40 just on the faces to stop corrosion ( with belt off for storage only!!)it must be cleaned of the faces before installing belt&running again
Thanks!!!

Back