• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'04 RX1 won't start

Snobeel

My sled is in the shop again. I just got it put back together after a little incident with a tree (new bulkhead and assorted parts). I took it out for my first post-repair ride and everything seemed fine, but the next morning when I went to start it, nothing. I thought maybe it was the battery, so I pulled it put a fresh charge on it. I even took it to my local shop and had them do a load test on it. All ok, but when i put it back in the sled it still wouldn't start or even turn over.

The shop technician thinks it is the starter and has ordered a new brush set, but something doesn't seem right about that.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jack

If your battery is good try wrapping a piece of webbing about three feet long around the primary clutch and pull it over by hand. If it starts it's your starter. Don't forget to turn on the kill switch and key before you start pulling. They pull over quite easily.

Rx1M5

just had to change my starter solenoid...acted like a dead battery...take your positive jumper cable connection and touch it to the solenoid bolt head on the starter side (positive cable going to the starter) with the key on and if it fires up its the solenoid.

Now the shop is saying the starter motor is completely burnt up and not rebuildable. So they are recommending a new relay and a new starter. They think maybe the solenoid welded itself and burnt up the starter and drained the battery.

My battery was flat dead the day after I rode, but it took and held a charge. I am using the 7 amp smaller battery. Is it possible that the low amperage caused this to happen over time?

It is just odd to me that the day I rode everything seemed fine, no trouble starting, no problems at all. Parked on the trailer and it took a crap over night.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what might have caused this? I am just a structural engineer. Electronic stuff can be over my head at times.

Jack

Back