• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RS Rage Eng removal required to remove crank case cover?

Dunker

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage
My starter one way clutch has failed and I need to replace it. Shop manual sucks stating to remove the cover, umm ok. Just can't get to the 4 O'Clock cover bolts to remove. Funny there is not any threads , pics or videos of anyone replacing a starter clutch.

It may not be the clutch, it may just be the starter. I turned the engine forward by hand and no problem, tried to turn it backwards just slightly and it wouldn’t turn. It was the starter. Magnets broke. 2009 Venture GT. Had to tip engine forward and was able to get to it.

It may not be the clutch, it may just be the starter. I turned the engine forward by hand and no problem, tried to turn it backwards just slightly and it wouldn’t turn. It was the starter. Magnets broke. 2009 Venture GT. Had to tip engine forward and was able to get to it.
I already replaced the electric starter, it spins sorta grabs and lets go kind of like a bad ratchet wrench.

Last edited:
This post was very helpful to me . Just Google the title and the link will come up . If possible don’t buy parts until you have cover off and parts inspected . Everyone told me to replace everything because you don’t want to do it again . Very true but you can waist a lot of money . But parts were scarce during Covid also.

I had to support my engine via an overhead cumalong which helped being able to raise the front of the motor a little at a time . So take seat off remove clamps on donuts and I found it easier to remove the back motor mount also . I ended up getting help when I got this far but it could be done alone .
So with the cover off you will need a pulled the rest comes off rather quickly . On mine all that was wrong was three bolts holding the large sprocket the rest of the parts looked good .
30D3306F-7F84-45E6-ADAA-79139FD4C9A3.png

This post was very helpful to me . Just Google the title and the link will come up . If possible don’t buy parts until you have cover off and parts inspected . Everyone told me to replace everything because you don’t want to do it again . Very true but you can waist a lot of money . But parts were scarce during Covid also.

I had to support my engine via an overhead cumalong which helped being able to raise the front of the motor a little at a time . So take seat off remove clamps on donuts and I found it easier to remove the back motor mount also . I ended up getting help when I got this far but it could be done alone .
So with the cover off you will need a pulled the rest comes off rather quickly . On mine all that was wrong was three bolts holding the large sprocket the rest of the parts looked good . View attachment 170822
Yes I did read that ... but how did you get the cover off? How did you get the 3 bolts out on the bottom right out? There is no access room or any good angle for tools yet alone fat fingers into that area. The thread starts out with the cover off and I'm not at that point yet.

So in my experience. I had to remove seat . Remove donut clamps on flex pipes . I had the motor hung from a cumalong from my ceiling. Then I took out all the motor mounts . Remove bolts from steering rack in front of motor . Remove bracket that hold head light assembly. Then you can raise it just enough to wiggle the cover off . It pulls hard because of the Magnet on the Stator. Then you get to the picture that shows the gear .

I found no short cuts you can really take . I did supply beer to a friend to help and he is a mechanic/ machinist. I do not want to do it again . But it was a good learning experience.

I should add you have to remove the air box and battery bracket to get to steering rack .

Forgot to add and I think you have already done it but oil tank needs to come off the side .

I keep remembering things . The long steering shaft has to come out .

So in my experience. I had to remove seat . Remove donut clamps on flex pipes . I had the motor hung from a cumalong from my ceiling. Then I took out all the motor mounts . Remove bolts from steering rack in front of motor . Remove bracket that hold head light assembly. Then you can raise it just enough to wiggle the cover off . It pulls hard because of the Magnet on the Stator. Then you get to the picture that shows the gear .

I found no short cuts you can really take . I did supply beer to a friend to help and he is a mechanic/ machinist. I do not want to do it again . But it was a good learning experience.

I should add you have to remove the air box and battery bracket to get to steering rack .
Ok so I am right that the motor will have to come out. I did the exhaust last yr and new flex pipe so that should go easy and I still have the front apart from replacing the starter motor so I'm already half way. Thanx!

Back