• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RS Venture Charging problems

titanzi

Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
2005 RS Venture
Hi.

My Dad have an 05 Venture with about 4300 miles on it.
It will not charge the battery. No voltage at all over normal charged battery voltage, 12.7v or so.

I have checked the 30A main fuse and it's good.

I have done an Ohms metering on the stator coils with the following result:

1-2 0.3 Ohms
2-3 0.3 Ohms
1-3 0.4 Ohms

Garage at ~60F

Then I have done a AC voltage test from the stator with the engine running with the following results:

1-2 1.5 VAC
2-3 3.4 VAC
1-3 3.5 VAC

The voltage stays fairly stable at those numbers, even at 5-6000 rpm.

The voltage regulator "seems" fine on diode measurements, about 0.5V over all three diodes.

Could it be something else than a bad stator or am I in for a night trying to get the stator cover off?

Kindly
Sebastian

can you try a different voltage regulator?

I would like to, but a new one is about $200 and it feels like a bit to much for just a test.
Was planing on calling my lokal Yamaha dealer on Monday and see if they have any experience whit these kinds of problems.

well you could check all the ground blocks hidden in the harness as they do go bad over time and can cause issues like this. sry i do not know where they are but i think there might be one in the loom over by the clutches.

$130 for a voltage regulator thru Sledpartsguy on eBay. I just bought one from him for my Apex this winter.

So I have now removed the stator. What a nice 10h job... Not to hard, just so much to remove.
I think I'm just a few things shy of removing the entire engine. I removed the rear engine mount and loosened the fronts to be able to rotate the engine up a few inches.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1584134866482.jpeg

Anyhow, take a look at this beauty!
received_770090140184469.jpeg

Yup. That is cooked.

Back