• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 Rs Venture starter/battery issue

Steve Raymond

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
05 rs Venture
Hey guys

I have been having issues strating my 05 venture. First of all, im sure my battery is not at its best, a couple weekends ago I could here my Starter spinning but having a hard time engaging. I was using a battery pack to try and boost it but couldnt get it going. So I read up on these forums about the starter bearing and figured I was into a huge job changing it and all the gears involved. However this weekend, a buddy had a good charger with him, so I put it on just for kicks. After about 30 mins I tried it and it started the sled right away, I took it out for a little ride to charge the battery and the sled kept starting for me all day. I could tell though that the battery barely had enough power to do it. So I guess my question is, is it possible I will just get away with a new battery and since im there , Ill change the starter relay too?

I'd throw a new battery in that thing and see how it goes. Welcome to TY, other wise known as Yamaha Nirvana ... it is good here.

Hey guys, well I put in a battery got her charged up and got started, went for a good ride when I came back I shut it off for about 15 m8n then tried it again, good news is starter grabs and turns engine over without any free spin at all. For some reason though it was hard to start, a little bit backfiriing almost, I finally held throttle wide open and it started up after turning over for a while. I JUST had the carbs done at the dealer a few weeks ago 2as running and starting good before battery issue. Anyone have any clue what might be happening now???

do you know if someone ran non yamaha or energy saving synthetic oil in it? that has caused issues with other members sleds.

well, try a set of spark plugs as it might have fouled one.

well, try a set of spark plugs as it might have fouled one.
Ok willl do, I did put a new set in at dealer when they did the carbs, do tou think its possible rhey are bad already? I guess maybe since it wasnt starting well

it is possible that it flooded and fouled the new plugs. not common mind you but possible.

Hey guys, thank you to everyone who takes the time to help us newbies out, many of us would be lost without this forum. So this past weekend was pretty warm up here - 5 to +6, My venture was starting everytime, after not running for a while the starter would just spin, eventually it would catch and I was good to go for the day as it would start np after warming up. Im guessing either the one way starter clutch or one of the gears is missing teeth, what do you guys think?

So i managed to get as far as removing all the boltd to the mag cover, i moved the steering arm out of the way, but I I just cant seem to remove the cover, yes the magnet grabs on pretty hard but it seems mor like its getting jammed on the way out, more on the bottom or the right side of it, Im not sure if I should keep forcing it or pry on it a little more l, Im afraid to crack it. Am I missing something, I know people talked about tilting the engine forward but Im not sure that was for just getting into the stator cover. There are a couple of grooves in the frame that look like they are there intentionally to allow room but I cant figure out how that would come out. Thanks guys I really do appreciate tour time on this!!

If the starter free spins it has gear and/or a one way clutch problem. With the cover removed you'll need to inspect the idler gear and remove the flywheel to inspect the one way clutch. Even if the teeth on the starter looks good I'd consider replacing the starter or at least take it apart to check the magnets and brushes. I've also seen the nose cone of the starter brake which you wouldn't know until the starter is removed.

The stator cover has 12 bolts and two alignment pins. If all the bolts are removed and you can get even separation all the way around the cover then it should come off. The magnet is a lot stronger than what most realize and it does take some effort to pull the cover away from the flywheel.

stator cover 2.jpg

Thank you Grizz I was actually able to get it off today, I reallized that the shaft for the ring gear was sticking in the stator cover and not allowing me to maneuver it out, I used a blunt punch to tap on the idler gear and backed it out of the stator wixh allowed me to remo e the cover, I havent pulled the flywheel off yet but from what I can tell I all the gears look like ther in good shape, what is the best way to remove that main bolt holding the flywheel in place?

Back