• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex Head Gasket

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex RTX
Hello all.

I have a 2006 RTX with 3000 miles. On the last ride of the season, it heated up pushing the hot, expanded coolant from the reservoir tank into the recovery tank as it should. As it cooled down however, it didn’t pull the coolant back from the recovery tank to the reservoir tank, the recovery tank just emptied into the engine. Using an antifreeze tester, I pumped the coolant back into the recovery tank and carried on. It did it a couple more times as I made my way back home. I replaced the reservoir cap and thermostat, replaced the coolant with Yamacool, bled the air and tried it again with the same results. I am not losing coolant nor noticing coolant in the exhaust. I drained the oil and found no coolant. I am thinking head gasket. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Any holes or cracks in the recovery line preventing suction to return it?

Sent from my XT1564 using Tapatalk

Any holes or cracks in the recovery line preventing suction to return it?

Sent from my XT1564 using Tapatalk
No. I checked and cleaned the line with a pipe cleaner before the second attempt. Good seal around the recovery tank cap as well, with no coolant leaking anywhere.

No. I checked and cleaned the line with a pipe cleaner before the second attempt. Good seal around the recovery tank cap as well, with no coolant leaking anywhere.
I think thor is correct. Check the hose again. You are not getting suction. The line is fine when cold but when it gets hot it expands and does not hold suction most likely. This is especially true if it gets hot or gets porous from old age.

when under pressure the water would be able to push thru but suction needs a seal. if you are not losing any coolant it couldn't be a head gasket in most every possible way it could have blown. in fact it sounds like your only symptom is that the water is not returning. are you running hot is anything else going on to make you think the problem is beyond the overflow tank?

Evening gents.
Thank you both for the advise. No other symptoms I am aware of. The last couple of rides were poor snow conditions and we were all running hot. I have ordered a new hose and clips so will give it a try once received.
Thanks again.

Back