• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 apex rear makeover

Darren Betker

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
apex gt
Iv got a bad back but i cant give up sleddin so i need a rear susp that will give me the smoothest ride period. No jumping no racing just mogul soaking and studder eliminating rear susp for my 06 gt. Oh ya converted to 136. Either a more modern oem skid or maybe even a m-10 or 20. Oem mono with the electric ohlins has got to go. Cant afford a new sled so gotto make this one last.

if that is the case, look up red beard or viper dave's apex builds as both of them went to air ride and both love that suspension. never tried it myself but i know they love it.

Yes, unfortunately the Apex rear (in all its various iterations) seems to have a narrow range of practical use. I've tried different spring rates and have had Hygear's setup in mine for the last several years. It's better than stock, but, I've never been completely happy with it. I'm thinking about tryin to put a winder skid in mine.
I know there was a member who had an aftermarket skid in his but, they are no longer made.

I've installed 3 completely different skids in my 11 XTX searching for what you're describing. Factory 144 with different springs and revalved shocks, a 13 Venture skid ( disaster), a Star setup with someone else's revalved, and the Star setup with his valving and a shortened and stiffer sprung center shock. After 13,000 miles I THOUGHT I was set. Then I rode Redbeards Apex with a complete Fast Airwave M20 with Fast Air Assault front shocks. Onboard compressor allows independent on the fly adjustments, looks factory installed. That summer we conceived a plan, and off to Indiana I went . 2 seasons later and I am 100% satisfied with my setup. Huge thanks to Redbeard for all his fabrication and install expertise on my sled. Read his entire thread. It's a MAJOR undertaking to do this right. The onboard compressor and and all the associated hardware allowing on the fly adjustments makes high mile days very easy.

M20 airwave with Redbeards (super awesome guy!!) on board compressor with on the fly adjustment install sounds like the 'bad back' skid to have! I want to build one just to ride it or try to find Redbeard next winter lol! I really would like to try it.

Hit me up next season Kinger.

So i guess i should ask how the ad boivon and the m20 compare. Ride vs cost.... GO!!!

Mm mm ok. I've owned , installed and tuned a LOT of rear suspensions . Boivin isn't , to my knowledge , making rear suspensions any more. And when they did, their support sucked. I still have an ExpertX in my garage. Absolutely no way it compares to an M20. It's an active, aggressive rider suspension. M20 is a bump isolating suspension. Bang for the buck? Monoshock II with Hygear spring and shock valving. ANYTHING else you do will cost more than that. You've stated that you have a bad back. DON'T even consider any Boivin suspension. If you're not mechanically inclined, stick with my MonoshockII recommendation . If you're not flush with funds, stick with my MonoshockII recommendation . If you're a set and forget suspension tuner, stick with my MonoshockII recommendation . Are you sensing a theme here? Yup, hard to beat the MonoshockII, with quality spring and valving package. ANYTHING else is more money, more complex, and way more mechanically difficult to install.

Back