• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 kodiak coil burnt up

Savage

swamped the quad and the coil and the ground wire all melted, i assume that taking in water over loaded the coil and it burnt up. It melted the crimps for the grounds to the cluster and every other ground in the harness, also at the engine block where the ground grounds. Anyways i have it all apart and theres a plug end off the harness under the cluster that has 4 of 5 wires to it and some kind of metal peice in it, im wondering what it was, the diagram yamaha gave me is not very detailed.

anyone else had a problem like this? or know where to get some better wireing digrams from?

Savage said:
swamped the quad and the coil and the ground wire all melted, i assume that taking in water over loaded the coil and it burnt up. It melted the crimps for the grounds to the cluster and every other ground in the harness, also at the engine block where the ground grounds. Anyways i have it all apart and theres a plug end off the harness under the cluster that has 4 of 5 wires to it and some kind of metal peice in it, im wondering what it was, the diagram yamaha gave me is not very detailed.

anyone else had a problem like this? or know where to get some better wireing digrams from?

Can you post some pictures?

While I have the front plastic off, are there any kind of problems that anyone knows of with other components that would be easy to change while I have it apart.

Savage said:
While I have the front plastic off, are there any kind of problems that anyone knows of with other components that would be easy to change while I have it apart.

Take a look at the front diff, change fluid, check over CV boots and bearings.

The peace I was looking at is a ground block
Gotta wait for the new coil. Then hope my cdi is good

Savage said:
The peace I was looking at is a ground block
Gotta wait for the new coil. Then hope my cdi is good

There must have been a short some where. I have never heard of a unit being submerged when running causing that kind of damage.

I'm good a fn stuff up.
It had to have been arching out at the plug.

Just got the coil today and got it installed and all my grounds repaired and added a fuse. But I still do not have spark,I have no power to the coil. :die

Savage said:
Just got the coil today and got it installed and all my grounds repaired and added a fuse. But I still do not have spark,I have no power to the coil. :die

Are you getting power out of the Stator?

just about to look at it, looking for some more info on what wires to check

Well there's 2 plugs one has 3 wires the other 4
The 3 wire plug has continuity
The 4 wire plug has continuity between the red and white/blue wire
the white/red and white/green wire do not.

From what I've been reading that not good, what do you think?

Savage said:
Well there's 2 plugs one has 3 wires the other 4
The 3 wire plug has continuity
The 4 wire plug has continuity between the red and white/blue wire
the white/red and white/green wire do not.

From what I've been reading that not good, what do you think?

Sounds like thats shot... :o|

Back