• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 RS Nytro electrical gremlins

Lakehouse2021

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'95 Vmax 600
14 Skidoo Renegade X 1200
I've hit an electrical wall... I'm wondering if someone might be able to walk me through diagnosing this issue: (I'd gladly pay for their time)

Bought the sled in August. Has 1000 miles on it, is in great shape. Charged the battery, changed fluids, checked a few more items and started it no problems. Proceeded to put a plug in for shield heater (off the extra harness slated for it with a 3amp few on the fuseblock) and then put 12v jump wires off the 30amp fuse on the main block for the LED Grip light circuit. I then got busy with a shop build and let it sit for 3 months until now. Proceed to start putting back together but though I should try starting before buttoning up. No start.... Checked plug, no spark. I've physically checked every connector, backtracked through the work I did in August and I can't find my failure. Reading the schematics, I'm getting lost trying to figure out what wires I should be checking to find the circuit open, or the failed module.

I tried to keep this concise... Any help is appreciated.

Things I've checked so far:
1) stop switch is up
2) all fuses, primary and secondary (near battery) are good.
3) no loose connectors

did you check the fuses in the fuse box by the chaincase?

no start as in nothing or it turns over but doesn't catch or....? What state is your battery in?

might be an ign switch issue. try leaving it in the run position with jumping the solenoid to check for spark.

might be an ign switch issue. try leaving it in the run position with jumping the solenoid to check for spark.
I might have cheated that scenario... I put a new jump wire off the negative and loosely placed it to the frame and I got spark off cyl 1. I'll put it back together tomorrow night and hope that I solved it with a loose ground. I'll update you all with the post analysis

oh, dumb thought, is ground wire under battery to frame/bulkhead clean and tight? if memory serves, there is one down by where the cdi mounts to the frame on the rx/apex/rs chassis. i never disturb it but do remeber seeing it.

oh, dumb thought, is ground wire under battery to frame/bulkhead clean and tight? if memory serves, there is one down by where the cdi mounts to the frame on the rx/apex/rs chassis. i never disturb it but do remeber seeing it.
Actually Maim, you are right on. I see the ground at the stator to ground and said D*nt g*v* * F*ck.... I'm putting a new ground in...

The plugs may just be fouled. Happens often on these machines with a few start/stops without riding.

The plugs may just be fouled. Happens often on these machines with a few start/stops without riding.
When I added a new ground, I did a quick key start and now I see spark! Tonight when I get home I'll put the engine back together and try and run it up.

I'll also take a pic of the wire, if anyone is interested.

When I added a new ground, I did a quick key start and now I see spark! Tonight when I get home I'll put the engine back together and try and run it up.

I'll also take a pic of the wire, if anyone is interested.
Take a picture and post it!

Attachments

• 20221111_175631_1.jpg
    20221111_175631_1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 83
you'all rock ! thanks for the advise and determination! Now I need to "make it happen" on my first ride. Last years "first ride" to Pine Stump I had a lack luster event.....

Back