• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Vector Starter Replaced, Metal sound when started.

viper7mi

VIP Member
I have a 06 Vector that had a fried starter. I replaced it with a OEM Viper starter which is the same part number. I also replaced the starter relay with OEM. The sled did not want to start after I pressurized the gas tank. I removed air box and sprayed some starter fluid in the carbs. The sled started up, but sounded like metal hitting something. I quickly shut it off. Sounds like something is not lined up or a bad gear tooth? The old starter shaft had some wear to it when I took it out. Any suggesting would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

I can't specifically answer to the starter question, but I can't definitely tell you to NEVER turn the engine backwards.

The timing chain can jump on the sprockets allowing the cam gears to turn and be off time. These are interference engines. Bad things happen.

Being an '06 has it had the tensioner update?

I can't specifically answer to the starter question, but I can't definitely tell you to NEVER turn the engine backwards.

The timing chain can jump on the sprockets allowing the cam gears to turn and be off time. These are interference engines. Bad things happen.

Being an '06 has it had the tensioner update?

When turning the primary which way is consinder backwards.

Back