• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 vk pro rear wheel issue

coldrunning

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha VK Pro
But first, left rear idler wheel fell off (in my driveway, luckily). Will need to check and grease all bearings and replace this wheel I think. Looks like the original wheels are integral with bearings, but newer ones may have separate bearings. Thanks again gentlemen.
20210405_143027.jpg

if the outer side of the wheels look like this,

s-l1600.jpg

those are not serviceable for the bearings. any one for the 11 apex xtx rear fits on there and does have a replaceable bearing. the old aluminum wheels had a replaceable/serviceable bearing. i tend to repack or a least check them every year on all my sleds. the high milage trail sleds need repacking almost every year. the yard putters/work sleds end up getting repacked/replaced every 3-5 years on average based on useage.

if you haven't repacked/replaced it yet, i would look at the speedo bearing as those need repacking/inspection every year. i hate walking so i repack them every year.

Haha, yes walking can be a challenge!

Thx for the tips @maim! The outsides are identical. 2006 VK Pro I bought with only 1200 miles. Original owner used it only for ice fishing, about 100 mi total per year. I'm beginning to find more and more issues. I doubt he put much upkeep into it, from what I'm finding. I'm all about preventive maintenance too. I don't like surprises that make for potentially life threatening end results (outside Fairbanks, AK). I saw a comment where someone liked the aluminum wheels for not binding up in overflow ice too. Any idea where to find used parts from older sleds?

I'll look for that speedo bearing too. Sounds like I need a needle for my grease gun on some of these.

Oh! Also, I just signed up for vip. Do you have a 2006 VK Pro service manual that you can send?

all my used aluminum wheels, not on a sled, have the rubber delaminating from the aluminum but all of them are 20+ years old. i usually buy the kimpex replacement wheels with the bearing and snap ring in aluminum (when i can get them in correct size) or plastic to have spares on hand. if the idler wheels look like the above ones, they are not serviceable either. for used you could try ebay but i would bet on those having bad bearings, or you can get from hibbsman at barn of parts or one of the other site sponsors that dismantle sleds. those rear wheels have been the same since the phazer II on the japan built yamaha sleds as my vk and enticer take the same rear wheels as both my apex's.

you can pack the bearings with your fingers with the seal out on one side once you clean the old grease out, it is just easyer to do with a grease gun and needle greaser. i have one mounted on a pistol grip grease gun with a 12" hose for my stuff.

i have frozen all types/materials of wheels in the slush on the rails. i tend to check them and rotate/clear them out after any slush or water crossing.

check your pm's for the manual.

My wheels are identical to those in your pic. I'll look into kimpex and barn of parts. Good beta on the aluminum. I would prefer replaceable bearings.

I can't say whether the original owner ever greased these bearings, but the overflow I rode through probably accelerated the failure. I'm new to riding through it and the maintenance after. I probably rode another 26 miles before clearing ice from the underside. I definitely felt less acceleration during those miles, which returned after de-icing! I'll be on it sooner in the future.

if the outer side of the wheels look like this,

s-l1600.jpg

those are not serviceable for the bearings. any one for the 11 apex xtx rear fits on there and does have a replaceable bearing. the old aluminum wheels had a replaceable/serviceable bearing. i tend to repack or a least check them every year on all my sleds. the high milage trail sleds need repacking almost every year. the yard putters/work sleds end up getting repacked/replaced every 3-5 years on average based on useage.

if you haven't repacked/replaced it yet, i would look at the speedo bearing as those need repacking/inspection every year. i hate walking so i repack them every year.
If the Yamaha accessory part number is used to order these wheels, they have replaceable bearings.

I saw that the new part number ends in -10, from which I assumed Yamaha has upgraded them a number of times. Perhaps not 10, but ‍who knows.

I saw that the new part number ends in -10, from which I assumed Yamaha has upgraded them a number of times. Perhaps not 10, but ‍who knows.
You can get the old style spoked accessory wheel, verify your axle diameter is 20mm

Attachments

• 5BE78220-4300-4D5C-B0F8-6FE43CC14EA2.jpg
    5BE78220-4300-4D5C-B0F8-6FE43CC14EA2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 84

Back