• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07' FX chain case leak????

Hi All. I've been lurking on this topic since last Feb. Lost some chaincase oil which I believe is coming from misaligned feeder tube gasket. Have it all torn down ready to replace. In Feb, it starting lurching and jumping during final ride and reverse/forward shifting was inconsistent. Reverse was not getting a steady alarm pattern - more like 2 quick beeps followed by pause, then 2 quick beeps. Had to key off to get out of reverse too. If chaincase oil got too low, could that have caused the crazy drive/reverse symptoms?

Bought used, ridden for 150 miles then drive issue shut it down. This is the first time I've had it apart.

I've noticed the sled also has no coolant in reservoir too, but never got an hot warning light. Plan to fill her back up, but wondering if I might have a bigger problem than just reverse feeder tube gasket leak to cause these symptoms.

Thanks!

You have the classic reverse issue. To get it to engage into reverse, get off the sled and lift the rear and she'll go into reverse. There are a couple of things you can do. There is an update from Yamaha to address it with a secondary clutch spacer and new belt. The other, which I have had luck with, is to adjust the drive chain on the loose side. Manual says to tighten finger tight and then back off 1/4 turn. I adjust until I feel a little resistance and then back off 1/4 turn. Works for me.

If it still refuses to engage into reverse, then there is an actual problem with the reverse gear box not likely due to lubrication.

Thanks Mooseman. Would the "classic reverse issue" make the sled feel like the drive was ratcheting too? This is what made us shut it down last year. Thanks!

I know that particular problem intimately. My son's 09 had that and reared its ugly head on a weekend at the cottage with beautiful snow. Upset him like you wouldn't believe. Although I replaced the reverse gear box, upon further inspection, saw that it was the bearing (#39) on the long input shaft that got pushed into the box, preventing the dog gears (#48 & 49) inside from properly engaging and also preventing the shift fork (#59) from moving enough to make contact with the reverse switch (#61). To fix this, you'll have to pull the reverse gear box out and take it apart to replace that bearing and find a way to prevent it from moving again or replace the box.

Why it did this? I'm not entirely sure but I think because the secondary clutch was missing the washer on the bolt, which allowed it to move excessively and essentially bang that bearing into the box.

Another possibility is the shift motor (#54) is malfunctioning. You could take the motor off by removing the coolant tank to access it. Move the shift fork inside the box by hand and seeing if the reverse switch is registering ground. You might need to turn the secondary clutch a bit to make the dog gears engage. You should check this first before taking it out.

Attachments

• Reverse Gear.jpg
    Reverse Gear.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 397
Thanks for reply Mooseman. I have read many of your posts regarding the reverse failures - so I believe you when you say you know the problem intimately! I have already stripped the sled down to the reverse gearbox and servo. I also found the oil feeder tube and grommet between chaincase and reverse gearbox to likely be my cause of gear oil leakage onto the floor. Take a look at my pics and see if you also come to the same conclusion. I plan to order the newer parts to try to eliminate the oil leak.

As for gearbox "lurching" problem. Now that I can access the unit, what is best way to tell if the gearbox can continue to be used or if I need to do some serious overhauling (which I'm not sure I'm ready to take on). Thanks again for helping me through this one.

:rocks:

Attachments

• 20131120_221719 - 1.jpg
    20131120_221719 - 1.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 418
  • zoom.jpg
    zoom.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 381
I still have the original defective reverse gear box and will try and get a picture of the problem to look for with the bearing. That's IF I can find it in my mess of a garage.

Thanks Mooseman. Was working on it tonight and plan to remove the gearbox, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the gearbox. Do I pull the secondary shaft (set screws just inside the frame an slide it back) to get the gearbox out? thanks!

So how easy and how much to fix?? cause mine is just dripping on the shop floor...

I think I have the same leak here.....
IMG_20140608_204321.jpg

Yes, that looks about right for the leak. The parts listed below did the trick. michdog2011 put on nearly 1,000 miles last season with no leak after installing these parts.

8GK-17021-01-00 Oil Pipe 1 $25.04
90480-10012-00 Grommet $ 4.73

Easy fix, remove battery tray and take cover off of chain case to access oil pipe. Good luck.
G.B.

Alright sweet, thanks man

Yes, that looks about right for the leak. The parts listed below did the trick. michdog2011 put on nearly 1,000 miles last season with no leak after installing these parts.

8GK-17021-01-00 Oil Pipe 1 $25.04
90480-10012-00 Grommet $ 4.73

Easy fix, remove battery tray and take cover off of chain case to access oil pipe. Good luck.
G.B.

So just need to pull the chain case cover off? I was gonna strip the it down(remove tank etc, already have tank and seat off LOL)
Also what grommet is to be used?

Yamaha 90480-11013-00 GROMMET This is on an 07 Venture Lite. Do I use the updated grommet or the old grommet. I plan to buy the new pipe
Yamaha 8GJ-17021-01-00 PIPE,OIL 1

yes use the updated parts and your issue should be fixed

Back