• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 or 08 VK?

Temag985

Looking at a new VK for this winter. Given the savings of approx $500 on a new non current 07 over an 08 what are the pro / cons of either model year?

Jack_Shaft said:
Shag all really.

Save the bucks and avoid the gay burgundy. LaLaLa LaLaLa

LOL

The Bearcat is also a gawdy burgundy this year as well ... must be the Mfgr's way of cleaning up all the 07 leftovers. (both Cat and Yamaha)

True enough. Man, that picture in your av is hurtful looking. You must have been after some snow in the west coast hills late in the Spring, were you?

Jack_Shaft said:
True enough. Man, that picture in your av is hurtful looking. You must have been after some snow in the west coast hills late in the Spring, were you?

Yes. Av was taken May 24 weekend.

Yes, both rear suspension arms reinforced and a small reinforcing bracket has been added to the tunnel to avoid buckling in extreme use.

Our local dealer has been adding these updates to any of the 06/07 models that he has been selling.

Do you know the part numbers for the upgraded suspension arms and brakets? I'd like my dealer to put them on the new 07 I'm looking at.

I do not have the part numbers for the tunnel brackets, but there was a kit available or MY 06 & 07 VK Pros that any dealer who sold these should be aware of. If they are not familiar, a quick call to their Yamaha rep should answer their questions quickly.

As for the rear suspension components, I am fairly sure that they were just beefing up the arms in-house in a few critical locations to strengthen the identified weak points before the sleds went out the door. A few triangular gussets, some welding and voila.

Thanks for the info. The deal fell through on the sale of my 06 VK. Another year with no low range. Do you think the beefed up suspension arms are a necessary upgrade, or a question of wait until you break them. My dealer doesn't know anything about the tunnel brackets, I'll have them contact a rep.

I would call the beefed up rear suspension arms a necessary upgrade for me since I have a tendency to travel hundred of km's from any dealership - or other shop for that matter - and punish equipment while doing so.

If your rear skid is not showing any signs of wear or cracking after two seasons of use, I would ride it out.

The tunnel brackets are something that the heavy-load towing crew will appreciate since it helps to strengthen the tunnel against the downward pulling forces that are often induced by a loaded sled following you on a rutted up trail, portage or navigating otherwise hilly terrain.

I pull a lot a heavy loads and would like the tunnel brackets, but my dealer hasn't heard of them. Does your dealer stock them? There was a recommended fix for the 06 VK sled to gear down for heavy pulling. I wouldn't mind reading the recommended chain case gear ratios if anyone has this information. Thanks in advance.

Back