• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 phazer cranks but no start help

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 yamaha phazer mtx mtn lite
I have a 2007 yamaha phazer mtn lite with a new starter solenoid and new spark plugs tried to start it for the 1st time this season crank no start after troubleshooting i have spark but plugs are dry not getting fuel into the cylinders im thinking something with the injectors but not sure what to try next ive pulled checked and dielectric greased all relays and wiring connectors no codes are thrown on my pod display any help is appreciated

I had this issue last year on a week old machine. Check if you are getting fuel to the injectors, and if so, pull the injectors, reconnect and see if they are spraying when cranking. In my case, both injectors had seized closed. Blast of air in the tip from the a blow gun was enough to unseat them and it ran great until it was shut off next time and the same problem again. Dealer replaced injectors on warranty.

Now, I'm afraid I may have the same problem again. Took the machine out of storage yesterday, it had fuel stabilizer in, and was refilled with fresh premium gas. started hard, finally started, then stalled, then nothing, Replaced badly fouled plugs, started right up and ran perfect. Started fine again this morning, son took it for a ride, then 2 hours later, no start, just cranking (fuel pump on). I Tried again a few hours later and much colder ( -20C) and fired right up. Ran until very warmed up, took for a hard ride, shut off for 20 minutes, now no start again. Not impressed.

Last edited:
I had this issue last year on a week old machine. Check if you are getting fuel to the injectors, and if so, pull the injectors, reconnect and see if they are spraying when cranking. In my case, both injectors had seized closed. Blast of air in the tip from the a blow gun was enough to unseat them and it ran great until it was shut off next time and the same problem again. Dealer replaced injectors on warranty.

Now, I'm afraid I may have the same problem again. Started and stalled yesterday, Replaced badly fouled plugs, ran perfect. Started fine this morning, son took it for a ride, then 2 hours later, no start, just cranking (fuel pump on). I Tried again a few hours later and much colder ( -20C) and fired right up. Ran until very warmed up, took for a hard ride, shut off for 20 minutes, now no start again. Not impressed.
Thanks i ll try thrt with the injectors tomorrow and see what happens

how does the fuel pump sound? what kind of pressure do you have? I recently had to change the Fuel Pump In my Rancher 420 and I though the pump sounded OK and built pressure but after installing the new one it fired right up. The new pump sounded a lot stronger! You could also have a bad/weak fuel pressure regulator and its dumping too much fuel back to the tank.

Now, I'm afraid I may have the same problem again. Took the machine out of storage yesterday, it had fuel stabilizer in, and was refilled with fresh premium gas. started hard, finally started, then stalled, then nothing, Replaced badly fouled plugs, started right up and ran perfect. Started fine again this morning, son took it for a ride, then 2 hours later, no start, just cranking (fuel pump on). I Tried again a few hours later and much colder ( -20C) and fired right up. Ran until very warmed up, took for a hard ride, shut off for 20 minutes, now no start again. Not impressed.

Very odd, In all my years as a mechanic I can count the number of mechanically seized fuel injectors I've replaced on one hand, most are electrical failures or if they do seize its in the open position. 9 times out of 10 a fuel injection problem is usually a faulty regulator or bad/weak pump.

X2 it happens though with such crappy gas we have. Usually a light tap on injector will free it. I have only seen this on things sitting for over 2 or 3 years. I would first confirm no fuel by removing airbox cover and giving it a shot of starting fluid in each throttle body. Some of the gas does sit in the lines and injectors and just doesnt have the Oomph left in it. Its a return system so once the fresh get in circulation will be ok. I wont crank mine long on first start of year. Starting fluid comes out right away if it doesnt fire. Rather chance the fluid than wear on starter,battery and all wiring and connections from cranking forever.

Cannondale, I would appreciate it if you could expand on the use of starter fluid. I like your logic but have no experience with the stuff and believe it can be over used to the detriment of the engine. Thanks in advance.

Cannondale, I would appreciate it if you could expand on the use of starter fluid. I like your logic but have no experience with the stuff and believe it can be over used to the detriment of the engine. Thanks in advance.
Pop off airbox cover and look in there. You can see the Throttlebodies. Open the throttle and give each a shot. Close throttle and start it. I use starting fluid that has oil in it so it says on can. Think about it. Not much worse than the crap gas we all have. I wouldn't ever keep shooting it in there. Just the shots like I said.

Pop off airbox cover and look in there. You can see the Throttlebodies. Open the throttle and give each a shot. Close throttle and start it. I use starting fluid that has oil in it so it says on can. Think about it. Not much worse than the crap gas we all have. I wouldn't ever keep shooting it in there. Just the shots like I said.

Almost a must, just a quick blast, can't really "pull the plugs and dump a little gas in the cylinder" like I use to on the 2 smokes. I use to have a little metal can that you could put gas in and it would spray a mist of gas in carbs, wish I could find a replacement as that worked almost as good as starting fluid.

My machine had new sat new unused for over 2 years before we bought it. It ran fine for a few days before the injectors stuck. Dealer didn't believe me, and took a long time to diagnose it before finally acknowledging the problem. They tried to blame dirty gas which didn't make any sense either. I blame it having sat for so long.

There is also a way to use the on board diagnostics to activate each injector, if you hear them ticking, then they aren't stuck, easier than removing them.

As for our machine right now, it won't start again. It either starts immediately, or not at all. Go back many hours later, and sometimes it starts right up, then when it is shut off, it won't restart again. Has done this 3 times in a row. Finally got it to the shop, will see what is and isn't working. Anyone have any thoughts?

My machine had new sat new unused for over 2 years before we bought it. It ran fine for a few days before the injectors stuck. Dealer didn't believe me, and took a long time to diagnose it before finally acknowledging the problem. They tried to blame dirty gas which didn't make any sense either. I blame it having sat for so long.

There is also a way to use the on board diagnostics to activate each injector, if you hear them ticking, then they aren't stuck, easier than removing them.

As for our machine right now, it won't start again. It either starts immediately, or not at all. Go back many hours later, and sometimes it starts right up, then when it is shut off, it won't restart again. Has done this 3 times in a row. Finally got it to the shop, will see what is and isn't working. Anyone have any thoughts?
Does it crank when it doesn’t start?Electrical. Very time consuming to track down. Grounds are first place to look. Other would be fuel pump relay. Is it red one?

Well im kinda stumped wen putting a little gas or starting fluid into the throttle bodies it still wont fire the sled not even a pop doesnt even wanna try starting but ik i have spark ...when i had parked it last season it fouled a spark plug on the left or clutch side cylinder if this helps any thts y i put fresh plugs in

Also when these plugs foul its often not visible as being wet. I would try another set of plugs and then I suspect ignition pickup. Normally is a code when that happens though.

Back