• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Phazer decompression froze? HELP

Foxracing

Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 attak
07 Phazer
Hi all,

First time poster, long time observer lol.

Has anyone ever had the decompression spring stick or freeze?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Whether the decomp is stuck or not, that is way too low. Minimum is 179 psi, which would assume the decomp would be active during the test. Have you tried adding oil in the cylinders and testing again to rule out the pistons/rings?

Sorry to say that it sounds like you have a major problem like, in order of severity, the timing chain skipped, bent or damaged valves, cracked head, cracked block. Maybe the cold start update wasn't done properly although the chain shouldn't be touched during the decomp spring swap. If the chain did skip, you should give the chain tensioner the stink eye.

Check the FAQ for a free copy of the service manual.

Thanks for the quick reply moose man. I stuck my palm over a cylinder afterwards and it does blow my hand off unless I put some a** on it.

The only other thing I’m leaning towards is not enough spark/out of time. Simply because it doesn’t even try to fire with ether.

Do you know of any common issue with these for weak spark? I’ll be able to provide more details tonight once I get home.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Also, I did add a little oil in each cylinder with no improvement. Forgot to say that in the post above

It would be very unusual for both coils to have failed. I had one fail and it would run on the one cylinder. If it was the crank position sensor, it wouldn't fire the plugs at all (I think).

You could go into diagnostic mode and make each coil fire to watch the spark.

Definitely check deeper into that compression though. If your tester proves to be correct, you could do a leakdown test to find out where it's leaking.

How does it sound while cranking with the plugs in? Does it sound like this one?

I would definitely be concentrating on the compression problem. You should be able to pop the valve cover off with the fuel tank removed if you need to go looking in there. Always try a second compression gauge for good measure.

If you can seal off the plug holes with your hand you will need to pull the head minimum. Agree with above. Compression. The oil in cylinders and no change means its valve related or holes in pistons.

One other possibility I ran into once was a plugged exhaust. No air out none in=No compression. Only saw it once but it is possible.

So now I’m lost.. last night, my buddy brought over a snap on gauge.

still getting 35psi compression each cylinder.. put oil in and it might have increased to 45psi..

however, we put a leak down tester on it and we are getting no leak down whatsoever on both cylinders. I expected to see it fail a leak down test completely.

What in the world could cause this? Lol
Could a lifter or something be froze from sitting? Still doesn’t make sense to me

thank you all for the input, it’s greatly appreciated

I’ll take a video of it turning over later.. hopefully you all tell me it’s just cranking too slow to build compression.

You'll have to upload the video to YouTube and then post the link to it here.

You probably have the seat and tank taken off. Try removing the exhaust donut clamps and see if compression improves. Like @cannondale27 said, you might have a blocked exhaust.

But like he just mentioned above, sounds more like a timing chain issue. Might as well rip off the valve cover at this point and see what's going on.

Hey guys,

Forget everything I said about the leak down test . Used the same hose from the compression tester so there was a Schrader valve not letting any air into the cylinder.

no wonder I had 0% leak down!

Regardless, I checked timing... when the cams are aligned, the notches on the stator/rotor are at the first notch of the two timing marks. It is not lined up with the single(TDC) notch.

Think this may have just jumped time? I rotated the motor multiple times and every time it was near or between the two notches. It has never been aligned with the single notch.

Back