• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Phazer seized

74Nitro

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 Sidewinder LTX
IMG_20190205_130106_01.jpg
Any thoughts?

Is this a low mileage unit? There were a bunch in the first year that suffered from reduction gear failures that were covered by warranty. Don't know if they would cover it now though. Check in the FAQ on this issue.

I.would have thought all of these would be gone by now.

The only part here that updates is the balancer shaft. When I spin it, it does have a slight wobble. You can see in the picture that the balancer gear has been very hot on one side, and it matches the crank gear, of course because they are timed. It seems to me the faulty balancer shaft caused the crank gear and the balancer gear to be too tight on one side.
This is a customers machine(second owner) that I have driven in the past. I did notice that it had a slightly unusual 'whine', when running. Obviously, this was it.

Last edited:
Found it:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/phazer-motor-teardown.73643/#post-642949

Either way, it's a goner sorry to say. You can try pleading your case to Yamaha as this was a known problem at the time but didn't manifest itself until ridden a bit. Unfortunately, there is no tech bulletin or extended warranty as most of these blew up within the first year and were replaced under the original warranty.

Tha
Found it:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/phazer-motor-teardown.73643/#post-642949

Either way, it's a goner sorry to say. You can try pleading your case to Yamaha as this was a known problem at the time but didn't manifest itself until ridden a bit. Unfortunately, there is no tech bulletin or extended warranty as most of these blew up within the first year and were replaced under the original warranty.
thanks for that.
It's funny to read cannondales last post from 2013.
Wonder if he has seen this thread yet.

@cannondale27 is still active of course. Might just have not seen this thread yet. Maybe he'll post something now.

Maybe depending on how it was previously used (i.e. high/low revs) might determine how quickly the gear fails. Give Yamaha customer relations a shot. It's a well documented issue and I have seen a few miracles happen but at 12 years, it's a hail Mary.

I am here often. Will be riding my Phazer this weekend actually. Not much to say that Moose hasn’t covered. Like he said is a chance Yamaha will take care of it with a whole motor but it would be a goodwill gesture. Worth a try. Always thought all should have been checked ASAP but they just waited for them to fail. Glad mine didn’t but it was just luck. Always sad to see one die. Good luck!

I know someone at Yamaha motor Canada. I talked to him today, gave him the VIN, and yes, it fell into the serial number range of affected units. I also know the dealer where this sled was sold new, and as of recently, they are no longer a Yamaha sled dealer. They also were not a dealer known for good service.
Anyway, I found everything used for $200 cash, except the balancer shaft. I see some on ebay and will buy one of them.
This very clean Phazer will be fixed to see many miles ahead.

Good luck. Hopefully there wasn't too much shrapnel sent through the engine.

Still waiting on the counter balancer shaft. Backordered for a few more weeks, but may have a lead on a used one. These updated and are clearly different than the 07's. Saw an 09 on ebay, but someone stripped the left-hand threads while removing, so don't want it.
Found all the other gears nearby used in very good condition at good price.

Still waiting on the counter balancer shaft. Backordered for a few more weeks, but may have a lead on a used one. These updated and are clearly different than the 07's. Saw an 09 on ebay, but someone stripped the left-hand threads while removing, so don't want it.
Found all the other gears nearby used in very good condition at good price.

Might be a little far, but there's a guy in Orillia who usually has a bunch of 4 stroke parts (apex, phazer, nytros) etc. Have you checked with him (via Kijiji)?

Might be a little far, but there's a guy in Orillia who usually has a bunch of 4 stroke parts (apex, phazer, nytros) etc. Have you checked with him (via Kijiji)?
Thanks for the reply, but the owner just found one near Ottawa.

Back