• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Rage GT starter, now what?

SRX Maine

Extreme
Hey TY family
I've read through all the threads I could find on this issue, but I'm a little lost.
This sled was acting up when starting. It would just spin and not engage.. When it did engage, it would bang and skip and make all kinds fuss before it would start.
I decided to pull the mag cover and have a look. Nothing is broken and the starter output shaft looks good. When I try to spin the one way clutch, sometimes it grabs, and more often it spins just as free.
Also, if I turn the starter shaft with my fingers, it feels rough and sounds noisy..

So, where should I go from here?
Pull the starter too?
Just replace all the gears and sprag now that it's apart?
Replace chain tensioners too? (Doesn't have any paint marks)
Are those copper donuts better than the OEM ones?

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks Bob

Last edited:

Get that starter out, my bet is on that the magnets in the starter is loose.

When my starter went it sometimes would grab a little and make a weird grinding noise. (Proly just a internal sound of the out of phase starter.)

That onewayclutch and sprockets I would guess is ok if you didnt see anything wrong by inspecting them.

The job getting the starter out is quite a large one, take your time and do not drop bolts under the engine. :o|:o|

Btw the top bolt for the starter is so much fun. ;)

Helped my brother with starter replacememt this week on his VK Pro, not a terrible job but second set of hands definitely helps..
Remove, airbox, battery and tray, secondary clutch, remove the three motor mount bolts, remove oil filter, tilt motor and starter comes out through the oil filter access.

Back