• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07' Secondary shaft reverse gearbox

equillibrium88

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer GT
This is now the second time this has happened to me (first time 09) where my 07 GT servo motor failed.
I have had all the common Phazer issues, Not shifting into reverse, rocking the sled, pushing the reverse button with nothing happening. etc. It would appear that it would be a design flaw, the dog gear does not engage the drive gear as deeply as it does on the reverse. The first time this happened, the dealer told me its Yamaha's fault for using such weak servo motors. Not sure about that, but its a bitch to work on and parts are $$$.

Is there anything I should be looking for: Clutch alignment, belt deflection, anything that will prolong the life of this electronic reverse.

The thing crapped out yesterday leaving me stranded in the middle of a lake. My motor runs and I can hear the clutch opening and closing but no forward momentum at all. Also, oil dripping out bottom right side. Havent taken it apart yet but I am certain that the grinding sound I heard before it stopped was the dog gear shredding the drive gears and shift fork. Any thoughts? Matt

I included a pic of the part in question.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 638

I know this problem since it happened to my son's 09. These posts offer some explanations:

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/07-fx-chain-case-leak.122264/page-4#post-1093877
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/reverse-gear-box-inspection.123019/

And your leak, if it is as bad as you say, may have destroyed your reverse box if it ran low on oil, like in the second thread I posted. There was an issue with the 07 oil feed tube to the gear box that would cause a leak. This thread has all the info on replacing the tube and grommet with updated parts:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/07-fx-chain-case-leak.122264/

I haven't taken this apart yet but thanks to Mooseman for the videos. Does this gearbox really share lubrication duties with the chaincase?
Does anyone have a photo to show where this grommet and oil pipe mates up to the backside of the chaincase?

I often wonder if this issue could stem from a poorly shimmed secondary clutch, any thoughts on this?
As for the oil leak, it did not exist until after the failure that left me walking so I am assuming, #*$&@ got really hot in that gearbox after everything in it surely got shredded as everything was far too hot to inspect even after I towed her home; likely a seal melted and that's how it started. Its not a lot of oil from what I can tell and won't really be able to make a determination until after its all ripped apart but any oil leaking is never a good thing especially when you can smell it. As soon as I lost all forward speed and the sled stopped, there was nothing but steam billowing out and thats when I noticed some oil drips on the snow beneath the sled and of course the stink of burnt synthetic.

Does anyone have a photo to show where this grommet and oil pipe mates up to the backside of the chaincase?

There's probably one somewhere on the forum but it's on the front side of the chaincase right next to the chain it catches oil from the chain to direct it into the gearbox.

My son's 09 had an issue where the dog gears wouldn't engage enough and would skip/ratchet. Kinda sounded like am impact wrench. It had a bearing that got pushed in and threw everything off for the gears. It wasn't affected by the oil pipe since it is an 09. Only thing I could attribute it to was a missing washer on the secondary allowing the clutch to travel a lot more than it should and hammered that bearing inwards. Never did do a full autopsy on it though.

Yours sounds like it went dry. After getting a replacement, I would replace all the shaft seals and the pipe and grommet.

Hey Mooseman, Turns out it was not my reverse gearbox. My lower drive bearing on the chaincase side disappeared. The bolts holding the bearing housing started to loosen from the vibration. One of the little bastards popped out and mangled my drive chain which mangled the top gear and bend the oil pickup for the reverse gearbox. Now I plan on removing the gearbox regardless because the shaft bearing are rough but I thought you might like to know that the culprit was this ridiculous drive bearing failure. Never seen that happen before.

Do you by any chance no the part numbers for the secondary shaft/reverse gearbox bearings? That is the bearing in the holders attached to the castings.
How about the oil pick up for the gearbox? It is slightly bent but open enough that sufficient oil would make it into the gearbox.

Last edited:

Back