• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'07 VK Professional

RSV

Expert
Has anybody heard when they will release the '07 specs for the Professional? It was supposed to have some major updates done, just haven't heard what...

Maybe they will make it a real workhorse with a high and low gearbox? I see Yamaha US have the '07 listed, but Yamaha Canada haven't (still only the '06). Just curious what they will be doing to it, since I will be buying a WT next season, just needs to deside which one... ;)!

Went to the 07 preview in Winnipeg & picked up brochure. The 07 VK Pro gets new 2 speed (Hi & Lo) gear case to get more top speed & more bottom end pull with longer belt life. Hope this answers your question.

Handy said:
Went to the 07 preview in Winnipeg & picked up brochure. The 07 VK Pro gets new 2 speed (Hi & Lo) gear case to get more top speed & more bottom end pull with longer belt life. Hope this answers your question.
Thanks a lot!!! It's just the answer I wanted, since I would NEVER buy a WT without high and low gear! Just hope the weight didn't go way up with it... Now I just have to wait for the prices to be set over here, and then it's desision-time... ;)!

LB :) so true, no use having all the tork in the world without the traction needed when pulling a 1500 lb timber sleigh out of the woods. It will be great having a gear reduction for a smoother take off pulling the heavy stuff.

I purchased a vk 1000 this year and it is my thought that a low gear will be a plus if you are hauling heavy loads.. I have owned other widetracks with low and high range.. this new 1000 even without the low gear is much better starting off a heavy load then my previous sleds so i would think with low gear it will be even better.. I do snowmobile tours and a few days ago I went to my lodge with 32 cans of gasoline (5 to 6 gals each) This sled hauled it with ease... I presently have 3500 km without any serious trouble .. has anyone out there heard of any trouble i should be aware of?????? also will the hi lo transmission fit the 06 model.. if so i might consider it if the cost is not too high...

Yes, the hi/lo transmission will fit the 06 VK Pro. I installed one for the local dealer here to help him set up for the Cains Quest race in Labrador a few weeks ago. (He sold 44 of these new VK Pro's this year and Yamaha put together a kit for him to test out.)
There is quite a bit involved, it is not merely a bolt and go kit. Yamaha sent everything except the driven pulley (including a fully assembled clutch) to install this kit. Possibly the actual kit will be easier to install and may include just enough parts that you can reuse most of your own.
He says the new transmission improves an already excellent sled by allowing it to go slower and start a load easier. The hi speed also makes the sled faster and better on fuel. The installation worked flawlessly with no problems at all. By the way the team he was part of came in sixth out of 17 teams. The winners were riding VK Pro's also. If anyone has a list of the teams that particpated, what they were riding and their final positions, a post here would be interesting.

I used to work at this dealership years ago, and still help out with this sort of project when I have time. I also helped install a Benders turbo on an Attak, and an MC Express turbo on an Apex on the request of this same dealer this winter. The only way I get to work on new yammies is to add stuff cause not much needs attention otherwise, and the new ones are easy to work on. ;)!

My dealer informed me yesterday that a kit for hi/lo gear is very unlikely to be available for the VK Professional. We were hoping that the early adopters (those of us who purchased first year models) would be given an opportunity to upgrade their 2006 gearbox to the 2007 for a reasonable price. The possibility of a sway bar also looks remote. Im not complaining about the sled I bought then, just would like to have that hi/lo feature. I will find a suitable sway bar elsewhere. Disappointed tho.

Thanks Tom for the info... I will be checking with my dealer for particulars..

Tom, do you maybe have a picture of the shift-selector/location of the selector? And perhaps a picture of the gearbox/transmission setup? Is it more like the VKIII setup (selector by the steering-coloumn)? Do you know what gear-ratio it was in the kit you put on? Was just wondering, since Yamaha Canada (or US) has NO pictures of it...
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/pro ... contentTop

The selector lever is in the same place as original, however it operates by pulling to the rear and turning counterclockwise to 45 degrees for reverse and to 90 degrees for low. Unfortunately during assembly I did not take note of the gear ratios. I did take several photos of the machine during assembly none of which show the position of the operating lever. Here are some pics, not in any particular order. Posting with pics is new territory for me. Thanks LB, didnt get it to work though. Used Gimpshop instead. Now that I can post pics who knows what youll see here. lol LaLaLa

Attachments

• IMGP0286.JPG
    IMGP0286.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 240
  • chaincase1.JPG
    chaincase1.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 249
  • chaincase2.JPG
    chaincase2.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 236
Thanks for the pics, Tom. That's one seriously big gerbox. Looks good!

The 5 sprocket driveaxle is the definately first one I've EVER seen!!! WOW! ;)!

Thanks LB also, for helping out... ;)!

RSV, I thought you were looking at the Yeti 1304, what happened? The VK Pro has proven to be a decent performer out here, but even I - a hardcore VK guy - have been looking at the V1000 / V800 Expeditions for next year.

-JS

No, I haven't looked at the Yeti 1300...??? If I'm buying a Lynx or Doo, it would be the good "old" ST 600/Skandic SUV 600. I'm not sertain they have the Yeti all worked out yet. Besides, the ST/Skandic is better in loose and deep snow.

I still haven't desided what to go for, it's not november yet. No hurry this time... ;)!

Back