1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

08 Apex MTX Problems

Discussion in 'Apex Mountain' started by Sledder Joe, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Sledder Joe

Sledder Joe Newbie

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2008 Apex MTX
    20180707_192017.jpg So I started the off season by doing some work on my 08 Apex MTX. First was installing a power claw track and new seals in the transmission. Got all that put together and ran the sled to make sure all was good. All was fine. Next project was installing new seals in the cover in the picture. Did a new seal on the shaft where the primary clutch mounts and a new o-ring inside along with a new gasget for the cover itself. Also did a oil and filter change since I had to dump the oil anyways. Now with everything back together the sled won't even start.
    I found out how to get into the error codes but don't understand what all that means. I found a chart explaining what certain error codes mean but really don't get how to determine what is what. (It should be noted that while trying to start the sled the check engine icon and light flash) The oil filter was off for a few days while I was tracking down a seal that Yamaha only wants to sell with the cover in the picture but I am pumping oils back through the return line to the oil tank.
    I'm pretty much stumped at this point any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. thor452

thor452 Because I can Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
    what error codes are you getting?

4. maim

maim Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2016 apex xtx/ 2011 apex xtx/ 2009 phaser rtx/x/ 1997 et410t/r
    crank position sensor will cause a symptom like this. have it right now on my phazer.

5. Sledder Joe

Sledder Joe Newbie

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2008 Apex MTX
    Not sure what section of the diagnostic area they are in.

6. Sledder Joe

Sledder Joe Newbie

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2008 Apex MTX
    Where is it located? Not sure if I would have bumped it or something doing the work.

7. kinger

kinger VIP Member VIP Member

It cranks but wont fire? Crankshaft sensor I think is the same as the camshaft position sensor on the valve cover right above that cover you R&R'd. Check the plug is connected and tight. If you have a oil pressure problem the sled will start but it will shut off after 20 seconds. If it can't see the camshaft sensor it will not get spark.

8. thor452

thor452 Because I can Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
    it will just show as a number on the display when engine light is on no need to go into diagnostics.