• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 LTX losing track tension

KingOnso

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Apex Ltx
Hi guys, I have an 08 LTX with 4 wheel kit, everytime I tighten track tension, the tension will hold tight for a few miles but always slowly loosens to a horrible ratcheting state. I have the four wheel kit and notice when I crank the idler wheels tight after tensioning the track that I can still spin the bolt, it’s not stripped, I can take it off and put it on, and when I hold the bolt with a wrench on the one idler, it tightens to a “max” on the nut side. Is it supposed to be like that? I’ve had a couple guys look at it but nobody can figure it out!
Anything helps!

Last edited:

Check to see you have all the spacers and washers correctly positioned. Also, run the nyloc nuts out all the way on the adjusters and drop of lock tight, then adjust as usual. Sometimes the nylocs loose their holding power.

As RAMSOMAIR mentioned, check to make sure all the washers are in and the spacers are the correct size. The long bolt is shouldered. This means the nut will get tight on the bolt but will not tighten the items on the shaft is the assembly is incorrect.
Check this thread. There is a pic of all the spacers and washers that go with a four wheel rear axle.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/4th-wheel-mod.123092/

the bolt should not be coming out it is welded to a collar that goes around the axle the only thing that you should beable to come off is the nut but if the stud or bolt is coming it is broken

If your rear axle and track adjusters all check out to be OK and it is still ratcheting then check your front suspension arm for cracks and breaks. The earlier Apexs had a history of cracking and breaking the front arm and track ratcheting is one of the symptoms.

I would guess spacers are a little too short, or missing washers in between rails.
I had this happen many yrs ago! I had to also weld on rails due to axle sliding around and eating away some of rails

Alright so I just got back in from the shop, and it was missing a washer! Not one of the four mentioned though, it was missing the washer that sits between the bolt and shaft on outside idler wheel, there’s a thin space provided there for a washer when the collar pin is in place. That tiny width, plus the width of the slight wear from the rubbing washers against the rails offset it enough to bottom out before truly tightening. Added the washer between the bolt and shaft, replaced one of the existing washers with a slightly wider one, and we are sitting golden. Haven’t had a chance to give it a ride yet, but it already feels like normal again.
Thanks everybody for the help!
I will follow up with a confirmation when I get a chance to take it for a good ride

the bolt should not be coming out it is welded to a collar that goes around the axle the only thing that you should beable to come off is the nut but if the stud or bolt is coming it is broken
Yes my apologizes, I meant I could spin the entire shaft with the bolt, and the nut can easily spin off. Bolt is pinned in place.

Back