• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 vector fuel pump issue, happening again, Help!!!

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Vector LTX GT.
WEBSITE
www. Moosehead Lawn Care.com
YAHOO
colemanbodemer@yahoo.com
Hi guys. My sled is having the same issue again as it had at 18,xxx miles. What happened at 18,xxx miles was both fuel pumps started leaking when it sat over night. Thus mixing the gas with the oil/ hydrolocking the motor up when you went to start it the next day. Thankfully I did not damage to the motor. How I fixed the issue at 18,xxx miles was replace both fuel pumps. And that fixed my issue. I now have 24,500 miles on it, and it is starting to do the same thing it did at 18,xxx miles. Stuttering when starting it/ running on 2 cyl (it is not the carbs, it is the fuel pumps flooding the motor making it run on 2 cyl. Once I hit the gas some, it clears right up (sign of the unburnt gas getting burnt) and then it will run great. So I am asking you guys. Is there some other fuel pumps I could use on this (rage, warrior, venture,) or does it have to be vector fuel pumps? Also why is this issue happening on mine? On my cousins 05 rage with 32,000 miles they never had fuel pump issues. My brother has a 09 vector just like me, with 19,xxx miles and no fuel pump issues!! I do not get it. Any help on this issue would be great!!

i would throw fuel shut off valves in the lines from the tank and just shut it off when you are not riding. was this on 1st start up only?

i would throw fuel shut off valves in the lines from the tank and just shut it off when you are not riding. was this on 1st start up only?
No, it does it even when sitting for 10 mins. Say you start it, run it, then shut it off for 10 mins taking a break, it will run on 2 cyl when you start it back up. You have to hit the throttle to get the unburnt fuel to get burnt. It smells flooded when it is running on 2 cyl also. It is doing exactly what it did when the old fuel pumps where no good. And you have to pull the hood/ side panel off to access the lines if I put a shut off on them. I did have a shut off when the old fuel pumps where leaking, and it was a huge pain. This just sucks. There has to be something that is going on with my sled, making these fuel pumps leak. Is a rage fuel pump the same as a vector like for bolting up? But might be designed different inside?

they should be the same. is it the cylinder with the one carb being fed by the pump? might only have one bad one.

No, it does it even when sitting for 10 mins. Say you start it, run it, then shut it off for 10 mins taking a break, it will run on 2 cyl when you start it back up. You have to hit the throttle to get the unburnt fuel to get burnt. It smells flooded when it is running on 2 cyl also. It is doing exactly what it did when the old fuel pumps where no good. And you have to pull the hood/ side panel off to access the lines if I put a shut off on them. I did have a shut off when the old fuel pumps where leaking, and it was a huge pain. This just sucks. There has to be something that is going on with my sled, making these fuel pumps leak. Is a rage fuel pump the same as a vector like for bolting up? But might be designed different inside?
Is the gas flooding the engine through one the two pulse lines that connect to the intake?

Are you adding any product to your gas during the off season?

Last edited:
If new fuel pumps cured the issue last year, and they've now failed; it makes me wonder if some kind of fuel additive/stabilizer or mystery gas is eating the diaphrams during storage.

Are you storing/running E85 gas in your sled?

What are your buddies doing differently that they're not having this issue?

Last edited:
they should be the same. is it the cylinder with the one carb being fed by the pump? might only have one bad one.
Just took the vacuum hoses from the fuel pump to the carbs off last night. (Gas leaks from the fuel pumps down the vacuum hoses to the carb and that floods it out) Anyways, both the vacuum lines where bone dry, no gas. Which means the fuel pumps are not leaking. So needless to say one of my floats/ needle/ jet could be part clogged. But when starting it last night a few times, it did not act flooded. Started right up and ran mint. I am going to run some sea foam through it just to see if that helps. But from how it was acting last night, the problem might be gone? I do not want to say yes it is gone, I have to ride it a lot more to see for sure. No problem on riding it more, haha

Is the gas flooding the engine through one the two pulse lines that connect to the intake?

Are you adding any product to your gas during the off season?
My brother and me run our sleds dry. Some people say there is still gas in the carb bowls, so I have taken my carbs off to clean them before I start it up in fall time for the year. Well come to find out the carb bowls are bone dry. My brother and me have had good luck running them dry for the summer time. That is just what we do. See my above comment right above this one, on what happens with a leaky fuel pump. Btw the fuel pumps are not leaking. So I have some thing either sticking in the carb/ float, needle, or slightly clogged jet. Going to try some sea foam and see how that goes. Last night it was running mint, not flooding out when sitting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My brother and me run our sleds dry. Some people say there is still gas in the carb bowls, so I have taken my carbs off to clean them before I start it up in fall time for the year. Well come to find out the carb bowls are bone dry. My brother and me have had good luck running them dry for the summer time. That is just what we do. See my above comment right above this one, on what happens with a leaky fuel pump. Btw the fuel pumps are not leaking. So I have some thing either sticking in the carb/ float, needle, or slightly clogged jet. Going to try some sea foam and see how that goes. Last night it was running mint, not flooding out when sitting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I siphon my carb sleds dry as well. I have not had the carbs off my Vector in years (Warrior is another story), but I do drain the float bowls before storage. I know it's a pain to remove the headlight, airbox, etc. to get in there, but I also remove my battery for storage and the drain screws are right there.

Gas in float bowls will eventually evaporate, but that can leave behind scum which can break free and cause the fuel inlet needles to not seat.

Double check your plug coils and make sure she's properly firing on all three. All three of my plugs were loose last year when I serviced my sled.

Keep us posted! :)

Last edited:
I siphon my carb sleds dry as well. I have not had the carbs off my Vector in years (Warrior is another story), but I do drain the float bowls before storage. I know it's a pain to remove the headlight, airbox, etc. to get in there, but I also remove my battery for storage and the drain screws are right there.

Gas in float bowls will eventually evaporate, but that can leave behind scum which can break free and cause the fuel inlet needles to not seat.

Double check your plug coils and make sure she's properly firing on all three. All three of my plugs were loose last year when I serviced my sled.

Keep us posted! :)
Well took it for a 50 mile ride today. It is running mint!! So the fuel pumps where not leaking, and some thing must have been sticking in the carbs. I started and stopped it a few times out there, no issues!! I guess I panicked a little to quick. I would have been pulling my hair out if the fuel pumps where leaking as I just replaced them. Anyways it is all good!!

Back