1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

08 vector gt - carbide help

Discussion in 'RS General Talk' started by Joe Norton, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Joe Norton

Joe Norton Newbie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2008 Yamaha Vector GT
    2015 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
    bought a 2008 last March - came with snowtrackers - going to take them off - they are too aggressive and have had some close calls - my wife will ride this sled and don’t want anything to happen with the snowtrackers. Sled has 144 studs, looking at putting slim Jim’s on - just need to determine what is the right length - 6” or 8” carbide length so my wife can enjoy snowmobiling safely Thanks!

3. Roger

Roger Expert

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2012 RS Venture GT (power steering doesn't work when real cold)
    2006 Indy 500
    By putting single carbides on your sled, your wife will not enjoy it. She'll be stuck in everyone elses ruts, and will be fighting her steering all the time, every time she goes out.
    In mho, snowtrackers will keep her on the straight and narrow.
    Close calls? I really don't understand how she could have close calls, when they steer the best out of all the carbides out there.
    When using Snowtrackers, your skis have to be perfectly aligned "STRAIGHT", no "TOE OUT"
    Maybe that is the issue?

At least stick with a duelly, or other types of duel carbides out there.

4. Joe Norton

Joe Norton Newbie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2008 Yamaha Vector GT
    2015 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
    Sorry for clarification going to put slim Jim Fuel carbides on - just trying to figure out length. I’m worried she will yank the handlebars and roll it - I had a couple close calls

5. almond1000

almond1000 Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2017 sidewinder 2011 vector gt 2010 fx nytro 2009 vector gt
    Just my personal opinion, but i run 6" stud boy duece bar carbides on my vectors i have a 2009 with 120 studs, and a 2011 with 144 studs and both ride and handle vert nice

6. hibshman25

hibshman25 Vendor Vendor VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2017 sidewinder ltx dx
    2018 snoscoot
    We've been running snow trackers for years on all sleds in my group. Have yet to ever experience a situation where we felt snowtrackers would cause the sled to roll. Most likely just a set up issue. I think it would be worth experimenting with before ditching because in my opinion they are the best solution out there for stock skis.

7. thor452

thor452 Because I can Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
    If you are going to pull the snowtrackers please pm me I will buy them from you.

8. thrasher

thrasher TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    06 Vector/ 17 800 SwitchBack Adventure
    You will have more close calls without the snowtrackers. Especially since you have 144 studs, and the sled will want to push straight. You need that amount of front carbide to steer the sled. Your skis may not be aligned properly. You must have a very strong wife to worry about her yanking the handlebars too hard, because I don't think I could even do that if I tried.(unless has power steering which I don't believe the 08 Vectors had?) I love my snowtrackers, without them I think I would park that sled.

9. CaptCaper

CaptCaper VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2016 RS Vector XTX 1.25 Lug wifes..2013 RS Vector LTX.. 2003 600 VMax Past Machines 3-2007 Attaks 1-2010 Vector LTX.. sorry no Stinkdoos or poo's cats.
    Love the Woody's duallys.. orginal style.. have them on all 6 LTX's...we've owned.. tried Pilots ..no dice.. studded with 162 or 108 studs.. run the 8 in on the Apex LTX types and 6 in on the wifes vectors.