• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 Apex should I add a clutch kit?

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
so I have a 09 Apex totaly stock and do mainly trail riding. I would say I like to ride agrresive and my buddy's are telling me to install a clutch kit. Is a clutch kit really worth the money? I am thiking of a ulmer or hauck kit. Any suggestions on what I should do or even if I should install a clutch kit? I do currently have a soft start priamary spring in.

so I have a 09 Apex totaly stock and do mainly trail riding. I would say I like to ride agrresive and my buddy's are telling me to install a clutch kit. Is a clutch kit really worth the money? I am thiking of a ulmer or hauck kit. Any suggestions on what I should do or even if I should install a clutch kit? I do currently have a soft start priamary spring in.
If your rpms at full throttle are good. You like how the soft start spring engages and belt is wearing good then really no reason to. Are you getting beat on the lake by them or something?

When I was playing with Apex’s I tried several kits....Ulmer, Proline, and tweaked stock parts as well. What are you looking to improve? Unless you have tons of traction (lots of studs, taller lugged track) you’re going to have trouble getting any more power to the ground effectively. Tweaked right, the stock stuff works really well for the average trail rider in terms of acceleration. You will gain quicker back shifting with aftermarket weights, but it’s a crap shoot in terms of quicker e.t. to a given distance depending on snow conditions. On the big end it’s tough to beat the heavy flat profile stock weights.

When I was playing with Apex’s I tried several kits....Ulmer, Proline, and tweaked stock parts as well. What are you looking to improve? Unless you have tons of traction (lots of studs, taller lugged track) you’re going to have trouble getting any more power to the ground effectively. Tweaked right, the stock stuff works really well for the average trail rider in terms of acceleration. You will gain quicker back shifting with aftermarket weights, but it’s a crap shoot in terms of quicker e.t. to a given distance depending on snow conditions. On the big end it’s tough to beat the heavy flat profile stock weights.
I agree. I have not owned an apex in a while but I had tried a few kits and experimented with some different weights and I always ended up back to stock. They did a good job of averaging things out for the different trails and conditions youll encounter. I found that there may be a small improvement with a kit in certain areas but then the top end would suffer or higher cruising rpms led to poor mpg etc. How bad of a job the factory did on clutching a sled will determine the gains of an aftermarket kit........some sleds are out to lunch with factory calibrations so a kit makes a world of difference. In the case of the apex they did a pretty good job so gains with clutching tend to be more specific to a certain area that the owner may prefer for his riding style.

I agree. I have not owned an apex in a while but I had tried a few kits and experimented with some different weights and I always ended up back to stock. They did a good job of averaging things out for the different trails and conditions youll encounter. I found that there may be a small improvement with a kit in certain areas but then the top end would suffer or higher cruising rpms led to poor mpg etc. How bad of a job the factory did on clutching a sled will determine the gains of an aftermarket kit........some sleds are out to lunch with factory calibrations so a kit makes a world of difference. In the case of the apex they did a pretty good job so gains with clutching tend to be more specific to a certain area that the owner may prefer for his riding style.

x2. the only reason i have played with the clutching on my apex was to improve low speed performance for crawling between the trees. made 11 snappy as heck down low when it has traction and wicked corner to corner sled. hurt the top speed and fuel milage a bit but where i live as not a lot of good spots for top speed runs where i ride.

had good luck with ulmers kit on my rx war but built our own for how we want it to work.

My reason to mod my clutch was a way too aggressive engagement and way too much engine braking especially when going into corners. I expressed this to Ulmers and he set me up perfect. The sled is much more enjoyable.

I agree with cannondale APEXS are clutched nicely, if you want smoother engagement the Barn of Parts soft start spring is all I would do. CHEAP and works. I have close to 20 k miles on APEXS over the years

I agree with cannondale APEXS are clutched nicely, if you want smoother engagement the Barn of Parts soft start spring is all I would do. CHEAP and works. I have close to 20 k miles on APEXS over the years

I will add, I bought my 06 Apex last year as a well used sled. When I tore into it, it did not have stock primary weighs, secondary spring or helix...so I can’t comment on how a stock sled “feels”.

Stock is very good as stated in the previous posts. I've always used Heel Clickers on all my previous Yamaha's that I've owned and have had great success with them. I did lose about 4mph on top end on my Apex, but with what I gain on bottom end and midrange was a fair trade off, IMO. It does have a high engagement rpm, but I've learned how to ride it without spinning the track and burying it

So if I do a kit I am thinking of the Ulmer stage 2. I am not concern about top end speed and do mostly trail riding and my concern about corner to corner speeds.

ulmer makes a good set up for that. used it on my rx war and loved it.

ulmer makes a good set up for that. used it on my rx war and loved it.

X2, as I run Allen's clutch kits on my 08 Apex LTX and 18 Apex XTX and also ran his clutch kit on my 08 Nytro. I also did his airbox mod on both Apex's.

But as was previously mentioned, you need to have solid traction to get the power to the ground. I didn't stud the outside belts but did go with these backers for added traction:

Track.JPG

Back