• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 nytro xtx secondary spring length.

poor farmer/logger

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper XTX 2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Hey everyone working on my nytro again going through the clutches. Just put a new powerbloc p80 on and doing some work on the secondary to try and cure some belt issues. Just want to double check on the spring length though and make sure that I’m measuring it correctly. Book says 75mm. Mines sitting at 73.1 and 72.5 mm.(I’ve replaced it once before) tried to measure as close to each hook as I could. Assume this is the correct procedure and it’s needing replacement. It’s the stock white spring on it.

Attachments

• 62383F3F-6AFF-4482-8332-8753802CB151.jpeg
    62383F3F-6AFF-4482-8332-8753802CB151.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 37

Most springs take a bit of a set after some use, I wouldn’t be that shook up over the small discrepancy you’ve found. Pretty tough to measure the actual length of those driven springs anyway. I say drive on.

Most springs take a bit of a set after some use, I wouldn’t be that shook up over the small discrepancy you’ve found. Pretty tough to measure the actual length of those driven springs anyway. I say drive on.
Thanks. Just trying to track down any little issue that may have been causing my premature belt problems. Checked my center to center distance tonight again just to verify as well. Everything seems to be ok so hopefully get more then 600-1000 kms out of the next belt.

Are the clutch sheave faces “true”? Lay a straight edge along them to see if they are dished at all. The 8DN belts are tough as nails, but very hard. Over the years I’ve seen lots of dished or grooved clutch sheaves on high mile sleds.

Are the clutch sheave faces “true”? Lay a straight edge along them to see if they are dished at all. The 8DN belts are tough as nails, but very hard. Over the years I’ve seen lots of dished or grooved clutch sheaves on high mile sleds.
Primary was grooved a bit at the bottom but the secondary is still pretty true. Cleaned it all up and put it back together this morning. Took it for a very short run just to try it out. To soon to know yet how it will all work but so far seems to be as it should. Was hoping my engagement would be a bit lower on the new clutch but it’s set up the same as my Yamaha primary. 4,000 rpm roughly. Could maybe change the spring but for now I’ll leave it alone and see how it works.

Hey everyone working on my nytro again going through the clutches. Just put a new powerbloc p80 on and doing some work on the secondary to try and cure some belt issues. Just want to double check on the spring length though and make sure that I’m measuring it correctly. Book says 75mm. Mines sitting at 73.1 and 72.5 mm.(I’ve replaced it once before) tried to measure as close to each hook as I could. Assume this is the correct procedure and it’s needing replacement. It’s the stock white spring on it.
Sorry for being off topic, but just curious how many miles are on your sled?

Just under 7700 miles 12,300 kms. Not super high but starting to get up there. I picked up a new sidewinder this fall so this is my run around home sled or for tighter bush trails. Try to save the new one for more trail riding. Sidewinder replaced a 2015 viper. They’re all xtx models.
Sorry for being off topic, but just curious how many miles are on your sled?

Put on about 20 miles tonight just putting around in deeper snow(20-30 mph) little bit of road riding on the back otherwise it was all off trail. Checked the clutches about half way through and I could comfortably hold my hand on them. Definitely warm to the touch though. Just slightly hotter then the water you’d wash your hands with is the best comparison I can give. Didn’t notice a huge difference with the powerbloc. I think it revs up a bit quicker maybe. I took it pretty easy for the most part as it’s a new belt on there again.

Wow. It's amazing how long these yamahas go.
Thankyou
As long as you keep fixing them they’ll keep running. Engines certainly aren’t the limiting factor they’ll run forever almost. Just need to keep up on all the little stuff and they will last a very long time.

MPI is no longer in business, so very little support left for their products. Have you ever owned a sled with an aftermarket forced induction system (supercharger/turbo) before? If you haven’t and aren’t experienced with tuning/dealing with their various hiccups I wouldn’t recommend one of these as your first kick at the can. Just being honest, an aftermarket kitted super/turbo sled isn’t exactly gas and go a lot of the time.

Nice to know. I know this is also off topic but do you have any opinions on a mpi supercharger ?
I don’t have any personal experience with them so I’m not the best guy to ask. They make enough power for what I need them to do so I’ve never gotten into the modification game to severely. Friend talked a big game about putting one in his and even went as far as buying a used kit but it works so well as is he hates to mess with it.

Thank you so much for your input. I have had a few snowmobiles before, but I'm definitely not experienced. Unless it's too much to ask could you check out my post about the sled I've found. It would be a great help to me.

Back