• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 xtx popping at 5900 - 6500 rpm

smokingcrater

Expert
Title pretty much says it all. New to me xtx with a Barkers straight through exhaust. Around 5900 rpm there is a pretty clear popping from the exhaust. The engine doesn't miss a beat, just sounds like fuel igniting in the exhaust system. Clears up past around 6500. It does NOT backfire or pop on decel.

Normal or something to be concerned about?

Should not be popping—— I have a 2010 nytro xtx with the barker slip on—- I have ran mine with and without the quiet core installed—- mine is hitting the rev limiter at 9350 and runs amazing all the way till I hit 9350rpm. And seems to run the same with and without the quiet core—-sounds way better with the quiet core installed— it’s way to loud without the quiet core and really it sounds worse—- barker wants u to run a fuel controller with their slip on, do u have a fuel controller installed?... if so maybe that’s the issue— try running without it? Spark plugs good? .???? Tod

Plugs are good, just replaced before this ride. This is with the quiet core and a fresh repack of the exhaust. (Was obnoxiously loud without the quietcore.)

Might have to look at the controller

I don’t have the fuel controller on mine so I really feel that you will be good with a test run without it— Tod

Going to get it back in the garage tomorrow and check the plugs. Barker fuel controller on the way. It runs great to redline, it is just a very small rpm range where it pops, but that just happens to match my normal speed on most of the trails i'm on. Reading up on the controller, that seems to be very much in line with what barker warns about. (slightly lean midrange)

Forecast is for the mid 50's though, so got a bad feeling I'm not going to have much of a chance to test until next season.

I thought you already had the fuel controller—- that is why I said to remove it vest it stock—— but your saying maybe it’s just lean because u don’t have the controller..???

I do not have the controller and runs great at all rpm’s

Nope, no fuel controller, just one on the way.

But... I'm surprised it ran as well as it did! Got it in the shop tonight, was going to check plugs, when I noticed a slight issue. This is a new-to-me nytro, so the first thing I did (before even riding) was a plug change. Well, turns out I hadn't gotten enough leverage to completely click the far coil pack down. It wasn't engaged at all, it was entirely lose and bouncing on top of the plug! After checking the plug (looks good), a light layer of dielectric grease, and the coil pack is now firmly engaged all the way down!

Season is most likely over, but I'm hoping I get a chance to verify the fix yet.

One of these is not like the other...

Attachments

• 20210226_153959.jpg
    20210226_153959.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 84
Good find!!!

Back