• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

0W-30 to 5W-40 ??

200smk

Extreme
Hi Guys,

2008 Phazer recommends 0w-30....would I see any differences switching to a 5w-40 Full Synthetic?? Of course, other than the 0w to 5w for cold starts. My concern is the 30 to 40 change.

Thanks! ;)!

Don't use 40 unless you want to loose performance. Stick with 30 for max performance. For drag racing or speed running use 20.

I don't think that anybody would notice a performance difference from 30 to 40, or even to 50 for that matter. Yes, it will perform marginally worse, but it is so marginal that you would only worry about it at the track where a small fraction of a second makes a world of difference.

You'll notice the difference going to 40 from 30. Run someone you are close to and go put 40 wt in. You'll come back home and switch back to 30. I have done it. I learned the hard way. The engine just seems lame with 40 wt. in it. I couldn't beat my buddies 800 Doo with 40 wt. that I could always walk away from after an oil change to 5-40. Came back home dropped it and went out and walked away from him again with 30 wt. No other changes. There is a reason for the Pro-stock cars too run 0 or 2 wt. oil at the most. Yes TWO wt. It is because it makes more power with lighter wt oil.

how bout this?
Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports
0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF)
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF) is specially formulated for four-stroke recreational motors, ATVs and snowmobiles. Reduces wear. Wet clutch compatible. Contains no friction modifiers. Broad viscosity range makes it excellent for use in both hot and cold weather conditions.

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF) is specially formulated for ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and other power sports applications. Its broad viscosity range and wax-free formulation make it excellent for use in both hot and cold temperature extremes. As an SAE 40 weight motor oil, AMSOIL AFF provides outstanding protection for hot operating engines, while its 0W rating and -60°F pour point ensure easy cranking, excellent cold weather starting and quick post-startup protection. Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports is an extreme temperature lubricant that provides outstanding performance in high performance, recreational or work/utility engines.

added royal purple 5w-30...

if I could have found 20 weight I would have run it...

and yes...the weight will affect gas mileage and performance each time you go up...

That's what I am doing......going with Royal Purple 5w-30 (considered -40). Amsoil would be my #2 pick.....but I am intrigued by this Royal Purple stuff....!

Have you had a chance to ride using the RP??

Thanks Guys.

NASCAR run 0w0 for best performance ,
an extra 32-38 hp at 9500 rpm over heavier oils.

How can you say it won't make a difference? That is a 5% increase in HP!!!!!!!! put that into 150 Hp stock snowmobile and it would increase to 157.5 HP. Now I'm not saying you will see that type of gain or loss, but I have proven it does make a tremendous difference from just 40 to 30 weight. I go from running even with my buddies 800 Doo, to driving away just changing oil from 40 down to 30 wt. on a stock RX-1. 40 weight won't give you any more protection than the 30 wt will. Why on earth would you want to give away HP? It does make a difference!

Didn't Ulmer run that OIL and said he seen a 3-4hp on the dyno?

KnappAttack said:
How can you say it won't make a difference? That is a 5% increase in HP!!!!!!!! put that into 150 Hp stock snowmobile and it would increase to 157.5 HP. Now I'm not saying you will see that type of gain or loss, but I have proven it does make a tremendous difference from just 40 to 30 weight. I go from running even with my buddies 800 Doo, to driving away just changing oil from 40 down to 30 wt. on a stock RX-1. 40 weight won't give you any more protection than the 30 wt will. Why on earth would you want to give away HP? It does make a difference!

if nothing else...
more fuel economy from efficiency!

KnappAttack said:
Whats 5 hp in 150? Its not going to magically make you gain 50mph. Thats negligible.

Back