• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1.5 Freeride with Stock Clutching

Cubby

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Ski Doo 900 ACE Renegade Adrenaline
2007 Yamaha Phazer GT
For those running a 1.5 x 121 Freeride track with the stock OEM clutching - did you have to may any changes to the secondary?

The reason I ask is I am running Ulmer's clutch kit with my freeride. The secondary is set to A2.

I was toying around with the idea of going back to the OEM clutch spring/weights and wanted to know if I have to change the secondary setting.

I love Ulner's clutch but the engagement is harsh and I'm wondering if the OEM clutch will be smoother for take-offs.

i wish i could tell you but the track is not on the sled yet. no time yet to clean garage to get sled in to convert to 144".

I have a 1.5" track on my son's 121" Phazer and all stock clutching. We never rode with the stock track so I don't have a baseline comparison. But it seems to work just fine. Even with my 190 lb frame on it, I can still squeeze out 80mph according to the speedometer.

i wish i could tell you but the track is not on the sled yet. no time yet to clean garage to get sled in to convert to 144".
I am seriously considering extending mine to 144" next summer. Turn it into a real crossover sled.

I am seriously considering extending mine to 144" next summer. Turn it into a real crossover sled.

I did the 136" and love it for the terrain in Manitoba.

I think the XTX has tipped up rails, that would be the skid to use for a 144".

nope. did my reserch and the xtx uses the same rails as the mtx. i was going to get muffin works to make me up a set to go to 136" before the kick up to 144 but they closed up shop last year. found a good used set of rails on evilbay for less than the price of the extensions. just need to get it into the garage to start the transformation as i do have all the parts (i think lol)

nope. did my reserch and the xtx uses the same rails as the mtx. i was going to get muffin works to make me up a set to go to 136" before the kick up to 144 but they closed up shop last year. found a good used set of rails on evilbay for less than the price of the extensions. just need to get it into the garage to start the transformation as i do have all the parts (i think lol)
Cool learned something new. I got my 136" extensions from Tracks USA but no idea if they make them anymore.

I ran the stock 121” Ripsaw and 121” Freeride with stock clutching. I would say it ran just fine with both. The Freeride was such a great improvement, I am unsure how much better it could have been without going longer.

How jumpy is it? My MTX came with a different clutch setup than the short tracks (8dn10 weights) and even though it has a high 4200 rpm engagement its still takes off smooth and is easy to creep around with, I recently swapped out my primary spring with one that has less preload and it dropped my engagement to ~3500 rpm since I use it to pull kids around on sleds a lot and excessive low speed/crawling heated up the belt too much. Where is the belt riding in the secondary? If its below the sleeve stopped that can also cause "jerky" engagement. My viper on the other hand jumps a few feet at a time and sucks to "maneuver" with, soon to be fixed though!

well my rtx is not jerky on take off and pulled the 20' logs last march with not too much trouble.

I think it engages around 4500. The sled moves slightly and then bites hard - as in hold on tight. No smooth take off.

Last edited:

Back