• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

11 Apex Se track replacement what else?

venturenorth

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 apex xtx
replacing studded track at 12K miles, has some cord tears in spots, want to replace with ice ripper, pre-studded

as long as its off, what else should I do at 12K..? we replaced the lower driveshaft bearing last year but aren't there other bearings and seals? anything else ? thanks

replacing studded track at 12K miles, has some cord tears in spots, want to replace with ice ripper, pre-studded

as long as its off, what else should I do at 12K..? we replaced the lower driveshaft bearing last year but aren't there other bearings and seals? anything else ? thanks

If it was me, I would do all the bearings and seals in the chain case and the speedo side bearing I would pull the dust cover and repack it.

Venturenorth: I assume you mean you replaced the drive axle bearing on the secondary side, I would still pick the seal and re-pack with grease, what grease comes from factory is very little. With that mileage, would definitely replace the 3 chain case bearings and all seals/o-rings while it's apart. Use bearings from Yamaha, not aftermarket. The needle bearings in the chain case gears and chain tensioner should be fine. Would check chain for stretch and replace if necessary. Inspect cover seal for defects, replace if questionable.
Inspect drive axle extrovert drive sprockets for wear, the driver material in the 11+ seems to deform much easier. I thought about reversing them to drive on the opposite side, but the 11+ extros are "handed" now. Other than that, check skid bushings out for wear/play, lube all the locations as they dry out quickly, there are needle bearings in the shock eyes and transfer rod plus the swing arm pivot that should get a smear of grease too.

Yes, there are other drive chain bearing and seals. I just refreshed my 08 Apex LTX with 14,000 miles by replacing track with Ripsaw II 1.25" track and Stub Boy Super Lite Plus backers and studs; opted for the traditional stud vs. pre-studded track after talking with riding buddy that has one on his Ski Doo Renegade Ace 900. While I had the track off, I replaced the drive axle bearing, jack shaft bearing, the bearing and seal on the front half of the chain case, and the two bearings and seals on the back half of the chain case.

Darn, you guys are fast to reply. As I was typing up my response, you two chimed in and stated what I was trying to pass along. Another reason to love this site; never a shortage of users offering help!:rocks:

Yes, there are other drive chain bearing and seals. I just refreshed my 08 Apex LTX with 14,000 miles by replacing track with Ripsaw II 1.25" track and Stub Boy Super Lite Plus backers and studs; opted for the traditional stud vs. pre-studded track after talking with riding buddy that has one on his Ski Doo Renegade Ace 900. While I had the track off, I replaced the drive axle bearing, jack shaft bearing, the bearing and seal on the front half of the chain case, and the two bearings and seals on the back half of the chain case.

RobX-1: Good call on the jackshaft bearing, ideal time to replace it!

I would say this to any thing you do. Whatever wear parts ( bearings, seals, bushings) you need to remove while doing a job on should be inspected and replaced as needed. The higher the miles the more replacing than inspecting.
I did all my driveline bearings and seals when I switched out my track at 11k miles plus I installed a 2011 and up beefier drive axle with extro's. Rather be safer than sorry

Back