• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1200 ski doo vs nytro

Despite what i've posted, I really like my sled now, just saying for $12000cdn, shouldn't have had to dump so much time and money to enjoy riding it. Even keeping the negatives out of the conversation, fast is not a word ,I'd use to describe the Yamaha Nytro. I've owned an 07 Apex RTX and an 08 Phaser RTX, didn't care for either as a bumpsled. One was a brick, the other was just not quick enough. The Nytro is closest I've found to a 4-stroke bump sled, in a dirt bike sort Of way. Just the thoughts of an old fart!

yamahahaha said:
how is that? id have to see a fast one to believe it. and a nytro is fast, and breaks 100 mph stock.

That's funny, my stock 08 Nytro won't break the ton on snow, 97mph yes, the 100mph no! :exc:

To start.... I really do not care about the top speed of my sled or if it is faster than a 1200 ski doo.

I was in the UP last year and ran about 5 hards runs on the lake with perfect top speed conditions (hardpack, cold weather etc.)

Participants:
1. 2009 stock XTX (mine)
2. 2009 stock XTX (buddies)
3. 2009 1200 renegade
4. 2009 Arctic Cat 800R

The result for all five races were nearly identical. The XTX's could not be touched out of the hole. The 1200 rengade never caught up and was the first to visably fall back from the group. The cat eventually caught up and it was a dead heat between him and my XTX. My friends XTX could not keep pace for whatever reason. We are all about the same weight and have around the same mileage on our sleds.

I drove the renegade and the yamaha motor is much more responsive but i gotta give them props on handling and trail comfort. By the end of the weekend the chain case had blown out of the doo. The yamahas no issues. I will take that over a little better handling. what good are these things if you cannot drive them. dependability is big on my list

2009xtx said:
I guess his dealer said it is common for them to come out of adjustment but not as bad as his ended up

Thanks for reply.
Most of the guys I ride with run Doo's REVs sdi, etec's and XP 800r's.
They are tired of the 800r issues, like the 600 etec (though not enough grunt) and on the fence thinking about 1200's or 800 etec's.

mach9 said:
Wow, the 1200 chain case blew?
Anyone else heard if that is a common issue?

That's a new one I haven't heard of yet, some of the '09s were jumping out of gear under a load (mine included) but was a quick fix under warranty. Out of the three 1200 gades I ride with, two were coming out of gear and had to have the reverse spring changed but there have been no other problems. Mine has 5,400km on it and so far I've just had to change the carbides and the oil.

How about belt life on the 1200, seems so many guys jumped ship from the 800r as it was a belt eater.
And the 1200 has similar clutch system.

Like I said mine has 5,400km and I'm still on the original belt and so are the other two I ride with. I might be screwed if the belt goes, I have no idea how to change it...hope it says something in the book LOL!!! As far as I know the '08 800r was bad on belts, I think there was an update to fix it. My brother in law has an '08 800r gade and it ate it's way through 3 belts in short order but last time I talked to him he said the dealer did something and it has been good ever since? But who knows, a guy down the street also has an '08 800r and he is still on the original belt?????

Ya, it's strange.
One of my buddy's 2009 xp 800r eats a belt like clock work every 1000 miles.
He's had it to the dealer several times asking them to figure it out.
So far no luck.

Why so much chatter about the doos. They are the reason I am a member of this site and why I now own a nytro. Whenever I hear or see the name all I think about is the 4k (us dollars) I spent on a sled with 7 miles for a new motor. 16k invested I had a nice new bone stock summit 1000

Well, chatter about Doo's, kinda hard not to when riding with so many of them.
But I can tell ya, the Doo guys I'm riding with all want to try the Blue XTX and some don't want to give it back to me.
One of the comments I get is...
"That nytro reminds me of my old Mach Z 1000 but lighter."

I know. I know kinda kidding around. Your buddy ever have his 1000 melt down? I will take my slides constantly wearing down in place of a motor. I would love to have a ski doo if I didn't need to worry about the thing burning up. Sucks when you drive a thousand miles in a car and hour new sled only makes it 7. When it comes to a 4 stroke at this point in the game I would only trust yamaha. I had a 1994 vmax 600 and never had a motor issue. Brp can't figure out a 2 stroke no way I would trust them with a 4. But that is just my opinion

Funny... Nah that guy gets a new sled every year.
Kinda went like this...
Mach Z in 06 then, ran an Apex in 07 then got a XP 800r for 08 (blew that up a few miles from the cottage and said) "That would never happen to my Apex."
I should be riding with him in a few days, he's running a 600 etec this time. Nice sled... Great range!!

Back