• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

15 RS Vector Oil change

VT5

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 RS Vector
So couple questions.

First my local dealer told me that I must use the yamaha oil for my 2015 rs vector or it is going to mess up the starter in the engine (sorry not sure what they were talking about). Has anyone had any issues using Mobil 0W-40? My old yamaha dealer recommended that for the temps in Northern VT on my 09 Nytro.

Second has anyone found an oil filter other then the yamaha one that fits? Cause the fram PH6607 is too tall to fit and looks like the KN147 is same height.

Do you change the copper washers on the bolts every oil change?

TIA for the help

I’ve used Mobil 1 European 0-40w for years as have my yammi friends. Just turned over 10000 miles last season on my 15 vector. (Friends have over 5000 miles on theirs with Mobil1 and no problems.). I have not been changing copper washers just don’t overtighten them. Oil is $27 at meijer for 5 quart jug. The filter well I’ve struggled with that. The Mobil 1 #108 used to fit now they are longer and a real pain. My friend got away with a stp s6017a on his 06 venture so that’s what I bought this year. I got it in there on my vector but it was a fight. It’s 1/3rd longer than the Yamaha filter. To me i like the extra capacity so worth the struggle.

I think there is a starter clutch in these that’s lubricated. Yamaha doesn’t make their own oil. Almost no manufacturer does. The just slap a label on it.

Last edited:
I’ve used Mobil 1 European 0-40w for years as have my yammi friends. Just turned over 10000 miles last season on my 15 vector. (Friends have over 5000 miles on theirs with Mobil1 and no problems.). I have not been changing copper washers just don’t overtighten them. Oil is $27 at meijer for 5 quart jug. The filter well I’ve struggled with that. The Mobil 1 #108 used to fit now they are longer and a real pain. My friend got away with a stp s6017a on his 06 venture so that’s what I bought this year. I got it in there on my vector but it was a fight. It’s 1/3rd longer than the Yamaha filter. To me i like the extra capacity so worth the struggle.

I think there is a starter clutch in these that’s lubricated. Yamaha doesn’t make their own oil. Almost no manufacturer does. The just slap a label on it.
Thanks so much for the reply. I figured the mobil european 0-40 was fine, just needed to make sure. The oil filter was leaking when I pulled the cover off, ugh.

Any problems with darting on your 15 vector?

I have used Mobil one for yrs on APEXS , Vectors , Vipers and Ventures with these Yamaha motors and have never had nor heard of anyone having an issue with the starter….now Yamaha did say this was a potential issue when they first came out….. I am continuing to use Mobile one and I get the filters at NAPA and they are Wicks filters I believe. Napa carries both the short and long ones.

Thanks so much for the reply. I figured the mobil european 0-40 was fine, just needed to make sure. The oil filter was leaking when I pulled the cover off, ugh.

Any problems with darting on your 15 vector?
Not much for darting I do have the eps not sure if they all do or if it helps with darting or not. I did replace all the front end bushings when I started to notice some play. Ski alignment plays a big part. I did shim my skis this year as my carbides were wearing twice as fast in front more than the rear.

Last edited:
I have to ask. You guys keep saying mobile 1 European. What’s the European all about vs regular mobile 1 ? Thanks

It has a higher zinc content than the majority of other oils, including other Mobil 1 oils. It also has a slightly higher viscosity and doesn't have the "Energy Conserving" friction modifiers in it, which is what is bad for the starter clutches. I've also been using it forever. Put over 14k km on the MP and that's a high revving motor.

I also use the K&N KN-147 in the Venture GT, no fitment problems. Also used them in the MP.

I have to ask. You guys keep saying mobile 1 European. What’s the European all about vs regular mobile 1 ? Thanks
Euro spec oils are quite different than non euro and I believe it’s more than just the Zinc . its a Vw Porsche Audi approved oil I’ve used it for years in various stuff. It’s not cheap

Back