• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

151 RX1 Mountain changed rear skid to A/Cat Mountain

Smoky1111

Nov. of 2003 I purchased a 2003 A/Cat 900 complete rear skid and installed it in my RX1 Mountain. The RX1 skid weighs 82lbs. The A/C mountain weighs 53 lbs. They both use the 7" rear wheels. I installed the front skid bolts in the stock yamaha mounting holes, I made new 1/4" rear mounting brackets from 6061 aluminum using the yamaha rear steel mounting plates for a pattern. ( I used 1/4" so the A/C suspension will fit between the mounting brackets, still a tight fit .) I then measured 31 1/4" center to center for the rear mounting holes ( yamaha is 2 5/8" longer center to center.) I then mounted the rear brackets and run a straight line from the front hole to where the stock yamaha mounting hole would have been in the rear bracket and marked where to drill the new mounting hole. (I raised mine 1" higher and 2 5/8" ahead of where the old yamaha mounting hole is.) By changing to the A/C suspension it stopped ratcheting and the approch angle is better for powder riding. NOTE!! I used a 144 A/C rear skid ( NOT A 151) because of the design the 144 skid fits right in where the 151 yamaha came out by just doing these simple mods. (I used a 144 A/C skid on a 151 track).

Lets have a few pics. That sounds interesting. Like to see what it looks like with 144.

At this time I am unable to post pics. I have a friend who has posted pics before, I will get with him and see if he would help me do this. It looks stock until you look close at it and see the A/C suspension. Also for those of you that want to use the 159 track you can use the 151 A/C suspension which will also fit the stock front yamaha mounting holes and also has the 31 1/4 center to center hole mounting distance. It will also slide right in the 159 track without using rail extensions. I do not know if you can use the 8" big wheel kit with either setup. The longer front suspension arm and the location the suspension arms are mounted to the rails is what makes it possible to use the shorter A/C 144 suspension on the 151 track. It moves the front of the rails further back from your drivers and changes the approch angle on the front of the track. I have now been riding mine since November of 2003 with the A/C suspension. It has made a much smoother riding sled and easier to ride in the powder. I will try and post pics asap! :D :lol: :p :wink:

Back