• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

17 and 18 gearing

Carpet Guy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sidewinder
Are the gears the same on the 137 Ltx ?

Last edited:

I believe gearing was all same '17 and '18.......21/41 (rtx & ltx)

It was 2019 that YAM LTX LE came with the 24/50 cat gearing....(taller track)

2020 LTX will be back to the original 21/41.

Dan

Can anyone tell me if there is any noticeable difference between the 21t top vs the 22t gear,has anyone raced side by side with everything the same but the gearing? I know 22t should be faster on top end ?

Can anyone tell me if there is any noticeable difference between the 21t top vs the 22t gear,has anyone raced side by side with everything the same but the gearing? I know 22t should be faster on top end ?
Conditions of course play a huge role, but I will say that if the sled is tuned it will pull that 22 right through no problem and then tag the rev limiter at 9600 RPM

Conditions of course play a huge role, but I will say that if the sled is tuned it will pull that 22 right through no problem and then tag the rev limiter at 9600 RPM
That's over reving a lot I'd say lol

With these turbos, gearing is not thought of the same as you need to think about gearing with less HP sleds. What I mean is, the turbo with a tune will pull a ton of gear. It should be well thought out, as to what speeds you want your sled to run the majority of the time.

Cat installed 24/50 gearing into their Turbos. Most feel their reasoning was aimed at belt life. I believe stock for stock, the Cat does have better belt life, and their gearing likely plays some part in that.

We know a tuned Winder with stock 21/41 gearing is good for approx 126-127mph. We also know a tuned Winder with 22/41 gearing is good for closer to 132-133mph. So you gotta ask yourself, how many times will you need to run OVER 126mph? If you are a trail rider, you wont likely ever even be able to get to 126, much less 133.

Last time I rode a bone stock Cat with 24/50 gearing(only good for approx 116-118), it felt nice and snappy corner to corner, and this was with ZERO engine mods at all. IMO there is something to be said for gearing these turbos this way, especially if you want some seriously instant snap and increased belt life.

So gear them for what you want, not for what they may be able to do.....because all of these turbos with a tune CAN and WILL do the speeds on ice of whichever gearing you install.

Dan

Just saying it's capable, not recommending to abuse the use of it.

Josh, that only happens if the clutch is fully shifted. I clutch my sled for 8800-9000
What kit do u have and weights set up at

Back