• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

18000 mi Overhaul

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
This is going to be a big one. Replacing original tunnel and now have over 8000mi on my previous 2016 chaincase update so updating to 2020 parts complete chaincase. Also finally getting the Hurricane Stubshaft I won at Give Away ride in finally! I am off for at least 14 days since my work is paranoid even though I tested negative so should have time to get this all done. I already stripped the sled down and dug into chaincase. The bushing I had in Top Gear from Ebay Anthony Kolenko has lasted better than any others stockers. I will have a hard choice deciding to keep running it or replace. This surprises me because for some reason this year I could not get original chaincase to hold oil. I suspect I nicked the seal putting driveshaft in the last time since level always went down quickly to below window and stayed there. Having it survive even under low oil is really awesome!

Bearings all still look good with over 8000mi on them. Welded shaft never spun for 3000mi it was installed. This one fit well enough I did not use BOP wedge. Tapped it on and that’s exactly how it came off. Perfect.
7BDADE2E-5187-46D8-BC47-8A61C3782612.jpeg
6F7C2D96-06FF-475B-9650-A278CD6A2623.jpeg
45076E94-B322-4E36-B212-113E92D8BE94.jpeg
State of it
CDB7F573-B403-4D0A-8A04-B5E95BCBFB17.jpeg

This is the gap I had after adjusting at 1000mi and going 3000more. Barely finger tight and 1.5 out.
17F24F5D-5BDB-4E87-8F10-9581ED704064.jpeg

Went well except for one bolt holding chaincase in that was supposed to be captured but spun and I also missed two rivets that hold factory skid on but also go through tunnel. Now just need to strip tunnel of a couple things needed for new one and start putting it back together.
E2094C99-E968-4B01-9FDE-935AD6D88117.jpeg

These tunnel protectors and tunnel would really benefit from a small plate both sides to strengthen them and tunnel. I will do that along with RR running board trim and foot plates. Also adding the steel bumper. My bag took a toll on tunnel but I would really miss it.
B06123BC-6312-4470-B86F-7501B798F3B4.jpeg
72A3E3CB-4822-476A-83EE-E5E7FCA892A4.jpeg

No wonder why replacing the rivets didn’t tighten these up much!
BC0F499A-0D4F-4879-9BC5-103967B4FC5F.jpeg

White sure is pretty when new! Will be a wrap going on right away since I hated trying to keep it looking good. Waiting on those rear supports that were broke.
C9702BFA-AC2A-440B-B2CA-7457D2AE746D.jpeg

Getting there. I loosely attached all the supports and Jackshaft chaincase assembly before installing rivets where I could. There is a lot of play before rivets are cinched. I am sure that leads to variances. The holes in tunnel are bigger than the rivets. Positioned it where Jackshaft felt to roll easiest. Not most confidence inspiring setup but hope for best!
AB26C529-6EBB-419D-B0BC-412CB9C22F5E.jpeg

This is that chaincase protector I found on the 2020 AC 6000RXC race sled. Really like the way it's fit and should add some protection.
3F8C63F3-1289-45EE-B01E-61C7E01D5AD7.jpeg

Little update. Last time around I updated to 2016 clip style shaft and Jackshaft bearing. This time I went with 2017 and up innercase and bearing reusing the 16 shaft. Simple and easy. The issue is the clip closest to bearing ends up being too far from bearing to be effective in holding shaft from possibly moving in toward secondary. Might not ever happen but 17 shaft has clip moved in. So doing some measuring I found 3 of the stock washers directly behind top gear perfectly take up the space. Simple and cheap!
53CA311B-1A3E-45E2-9E21-E59F32DE841E.jpeg

9FA49571-5350-4A13-A6E0-5E7191079BB8.jpeg

Last edited:
glad you are getting it done. i could use a 2 week vacation as i have been essential the whole time other than the week i had off to recover from carpel surgery.

that ferry looks pretty old...stright bow and round stern with 3/4 bridge...my guess late 50's or 60's...still running...American ships were build bought back then. great photo and thanks for sharing. Joe

that ferry looks pretty old...stright bow and round stern with 3/4 bridge...my guess late 50's or 60's...still running...American ships were build bought back then. great photo and thanks for sharing. Joe
1953! You must really be a sailor. It still burns coal but has had a lot of updating done to it. I know the head Engineer on it. Kevin Dietrich. Do you know him?
SS Badger
Ferry

SS Badger is a passenger and vehicle ferry in the United States that has been in service on Lake Michigan since 1953. Currently, the ship shuttles between Ludington, Michigan, and Manitowoc, Wisconsin, a distance of 62 miles, connecting U.S. Highway 10 between those two cities. It is the last coal-fired passenger vessel operating on the Great Lakes, and was designated a National Historic Landmark on January 20, 2016.

1953! You must really be a sailor. It still burns coal but has had a lot of updating done to it. I know the head Engineer on it. Kevin Dietrich. Do you know him?
SS Badger
Ferry

SS Badger is a passenger and vehicle ferry in the United States that has been in service on Lake Michigan since 1953. Currently, the ship shuttles between Ludington, Michigan, and Manitowoc, Wisconsin, a distance of 62 miles, connecting U.S. Highway 10 between those two cities. It is the last coal-fired passenger vessel operating on the Great Lakes, and was designated a National Historic Landmark on January 20, 2016.
Ive sailed on a great number of different kinds of ships and from the profile of this ferry said it all to me. What is amazing is it still uses coal...talk about being grandfathered in lol. There was a coal fired bulk carrier that used to supply coal to a local power plant but that all disappeared about 5 years ago...I bet that's the last remaining coal fired steam plant operating a ship. Now some ships are using LNG, ultra low sulfur diesel...its all about pollution. I always liked working on old ship...rust buckets...everything is just more relaxed on them and always paid more money because of maintenance overtime.
I just retired after 40 years of going to sea, I do not know your friend Kevin but I have sailed with a few guys from the lakes.I do have a very good friend who runs the shipyard here in Massachusetts for the Ferry service to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket..he was Chief Eng. on a tanker sailing to Valdez Alaska, California and Hawaii with me. Your friend is riding a piece of floating history and I'd love to take a ride aboard before its gone...I'm certain is got a very thick hull. Thanks so much for posting the picture, when I talk with my buddy running the shipyard I will mention this ship. Joe

Cannondale, I just watched a video of the SS Badge...oh my god what a good looking vessel, so clean, not a spot of rust or deterioration...it's show pride of all who work on her, your friend Kevin, the deck, engine and stewards's dept. are top notch. My 2020 Sidewinder already has a spot of rust on it and I got it just 5 months ago lol. Joe

Cannondale, I just watched a video of the SS Badge...oh my god what a good looking vessel, so clean, not a spot of rust or deterioration...it's show pride of all who work on her, your friend Kevin, the deck, engine and stewards's dept. are top notch. My 2020 Sidewinder already has a spot of rust on it and I got it just 5 months ago lol. Joe
Glad you enjoyed. Kevin spent 10 years in the Navy before this. Having worked with a few Navy guys I was always impressed with their attention to detail and doing it right with full documentation. They tried shutting the Ferry down because of pollution but battle was won with support from both cities and retrofit of a ash recovery system.

Dad ( a old Navy guy ) took us on her when I was 10. Took her across the lake myself with my daughter when she was 10, in 1997. Amazing how much coal they dump into her.

Nice guess!

It’s a steam turbine out of a WW2 era Destroyer, not sure what class tho. It runs 24 hours a day 365 days a year, never an issue. It’s some crazy horsepower rating of like 15 thousand or sumfin. It turns a 7MW generator so it runs continuously at around half its horsepower rating.

Yamacat engineers could use a lesson from whomever designed it.

Back