• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2.5mm upper ball joint mod...

is the 2.5mm mill down mod on the 08 upper ball joint a worthwhile project?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swmpr1

Extreme
Hate to revisit this old topic, but cant seem to read through all the old topics and get some real positive responses on this, read alot about people say it worked great then a little while later saying that they werent quite sure. I really am just looking for a show of hands as to who thinks this mod is worth doin on an 08 rtx. Thanks.

I modded my MTX but only at 2mm. Riden it a few times so far and it certainly does not feel as darty or twichy on the hard pack. Approx 125 miles so far.

so there is a noticable difference? thats what i was hoping for, guess i will bring them to a machine shop and get it done.

Bodacious said:
I modded my MTX but only at 2mm. Riden it a few times so far and it certainly does not feel as darty or twichy on the hard pack. Approx 125 miles so far.

Did you change anything else? Is this a true comparison of the ball joint mod only?

I hope it works out. I would like to hear from RTX owners. It's good to hear it is working on an MTX, but an RTX isn't the same sled. Just my $0.02 :dunno:

I would like to know also, i am really considering doing this. Worst case i shim them back right? Also 2mm or 2.5mm?

i figure go all out, not sure who came up witht he figure of 2.5 mm but its gotta change the camber a little to give it more stability one would think.

For the life of me can't find the original post but, 2.5 mm is what i here,i'm gonna give it a try,,if its no better guess this front end is going to go,,too spooky for me,,i hear holz maybe doing some arms in the new year..Last year i got seriuosly tossed from the machine while coming down boulder,,just hit a bump in a high speed turn and got the handlebars ripped from my hands,,,can't have it!! :o|

evil1 said:
Last year i got seriuosly tossed from the machine while coming down boulder,,just hit a bump in a high speed turn and got the handlebars ripped from my hands,,,can't have it!! :o|

thats funny, same thing happened to me, lucky niether the sled or I got hurt. Actually had my helmet camera on and got to watch it over again . hours of fun

another thing that helped on my Nytro mtx and my grandparents phazer MTX's was the flip the rubbers on the ski's, in our case it looks like they were put in 'backwards'. when we lifted the machine the skis would point down at the front, once that was flipped around so that the ski's weren't trying to dig in as much the machines all felt much better.
It was so bad before that my grandpa (who is very experianced) was actually throw from his machine once when the machine started to wobble in the front end.
just something to look at.

back to the ball joint mod, i haven't ridden on it yet but i shaved mine by 2mm, but i also stiffened the front end and control arms, and replaced the stock (loose after 1900km) bushings with oilite ones, the front end is now stiffer than it was new and should ride much nicer now on the trails. I am thinking of shimming under the rubber on my ski's as well (which i remember seeing a few mentions about last year), 1/4" iirc people were shimming it at the back to point the skis up more. so even if it is worlds better, i can't say exactly that the shimming mod was responsible since i did so much at once.

2.5 mm mod

I did the mod mid season last year an for me it took some of the twitchyness out for sure I also fliped the rubbers under the ski at a different time and also noticed alittle less darting.

the 2.5 mod came from europe it was kind of a bulletin over there!

:rocks:
Dave

Yes, it is a worthwhile project, because it does offer a small improvement in the stability of the front end. I do not know who got this idea in the first place, and I do not think that anybody will get a patent or even creds for this. It is just another adjustment possibility for most people used to working with chassis adjustments. I got the advice to do this modification from a friend at Yamaha Finland in the beginning of last January. They got some not so kind criticism in a finnish snowmobile magazine in December and decided to do something about it. They tried -2.5 mm just because this was the maximum modification without adding spacers under the nut.

As already said, this modification does offer a small stability improvement. Though, I found other items that made at least as much difference, and it is not until combined with these that your front end stability will shine. Be prepared to play around with preload adjustments for improved weight distribution, more-than-standard toe-out measurement and skis with adjustable position (and thereby adjustable trail).

I did the 2.5 along with 3/8" shim on back of rubbers with slydog skis and 1/2" toe out and it was like riding a different sled, the front end is now great and handles well, I would recommend doing these mods ;)!

Alatalo said:
Yes, it is a worthwhile project, because it does offer a small improvement in the stability of the front end. I do not know who got this idea in the first place, and I do not think that anybody will get a patent or even creds for this. It is just another adjustment possibility for most people used to working with chassis adjustments. I got the advice to do this modification from a friend at Yamaha Finland in the beginning of last January. They got some not so kind criticism in a finnish snowmobile magazine in December and decided to do something about it. They tried -2.5 mm just because this was the maximum modification without adding spacers under the nut.

As already said, this modification does offer a small stability improvement. Though, I found other items that made at least as much difference, and it is not until combined with these that your front end stability will shine. Be prepared to play around with preload adjustments for improved weight distribution, more-than-standard toe-out measurement and skis with adjustable position (and thereby adjustable trail).

Got an RTX also and rides in Vilhelmina, Sweden. What are the other mods you did. Guess we have about the same trails and riding conditions you and me =)

Back