• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 Yamaha RX-1 won’t start

Drewskie

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX-1
So let start this with the fact that I’m a newb especially to the RX-1 (has 8500 miles apex seat and handle bar risers already on it Great!) Picked it up with another sled both started and ran fine before purchasing them. Got them home (after an hour and a half drive) got them off the trailer everything’s great.

Come to the weekend after up to my parents (don’t have enough room at my place plus 100 acres to play on) pull the rope on the “mustard bucket” (Ski-doo MXZ 670HO) starts right up. Got to start the Yamaha and crank crank crank..... sounds like it wants to start (small rumble while it’s cranking) you get the idea no start. So I pull the battery out and sure enough it’s only at %80 so leave it on a charger. While the battery is charging I pulled the carbs cleaned them all out (they weren’t very dirty at all) blasted the jets with carb cleaner and compressed air (figured they were plugged maybe?) put everything back on. Pull all the plugs (wet and smell of gas). Toss the battery in checked each plug for spark with a small bump of the starter sure enough there’s spark with each plug. Am I missing something here? I’m almost leaning toward the battery being junk which the only thing I havnt done is get the battery bench tested.

So let start this with the fact that I’m a newb especially to the RX-1 (has 8500 miles apex seat and handle bar risers already on it Great!) Picked it up with another sled both started and ran fine before purchasing them. Got them home (after an hour and a half drive) got them off the trailer everything’s great.

Come to the weekend after up to my parents (don’t have enough room at my place plus 100 acres to play on) pull the rope on the “mustard bucket” (Ski-doo MXZ 670HO) starts right up. Got to start the Yamaha and crank crank crank..... sounds like it wants to start (small rumble while it’s cranking) you get the idea no start. So I pull the battery out and sure enough it’s only at %80 so leave it on a charger. While the battery is charging I pulled the carbs cleaned them all out (they weren’t very dirty at all) blasted the jets with carb cleaner and compressed air (figured they were plugged maybe?) put everything back on. Pull all the plugs (wet and smell of gas). Toss the battery in checked each plug for spark with a small bump of the starter sure enough there’s spark with each plug. Am I missing something here? I’m almost leaning toward the battery being junk which the only thing I havnt done is get the battery bench tested.

Did you give it any choke? slide lever under the left grip.

Throw those plugs away and put brand new ones in.

Throw those plugs away and put brand new ones in.
That was my next thought even though I had spark maybe not enough? I know the advanced parts of Africa as I like to call it has nine NGK CR9E plugs in stock

That was my next thought even though I had spark maybe not enough? I know the advanced parts of Africa as I like to call it has nine NGK CR9E plugs in stock
The insulator nose is soaked in fuel and carbon and doesn't spark properly.

Well I talk with a friend (who works on 2stroke/4stroke bikes as a hobbie) and told him what’s up. He suggested (and I didn’t do it this way) removing the jets (carefully) and carb cleaning them and compressed air one at a time. Now I’m waiting for the Yamaha dealer on a heater assembly for one of the carbs due to me hitting the end just right and breaking the plastic. But so far just from looking at one of the jets (before and after) this may have been the trick

Attachments

• BB73E2BE-D52B-4B01-8E99-FEC71BDED6CF.jpeg
    BB73E2BE-D52B-4B01-8E99-FEC71BDED6CF.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 13C4E89F-5B8D-4F09-B1A6-B6D568FFA652.jpeg
    13C4E89F-5B8D-4F09-B1A6-B6D568FFA652.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 70
Well I talk with a friend (who works on 2stroke/4stroke bikes as a hobbie) and told him what’s up. He suggested (and I didn’t do it this way) removing the jets (carefully) and carb cleaning them and compressed air one at a time. Now I’m waiting for the Yamaha dealer on a heater assembly for one of the carbs due to me hitting the end just right and breaking the plastic. But so far just from looking at one of the jets (before and after) this may have been the trick

Make sure the side hole on the pilots are clean as well. Those are really small.

I had the same problem. All it was for me was bad coil plugs. Bought new ones runs perfect

Back