• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 Yamaha rx1 misses

jrice1987

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha rx1
So what I thought would correct my issue did not...arg. I had a sloppy coil/spark plug wire, sled still runs burbly and backfires a little and idle is up and down a little afterreplacing all coils. Pulled all plugs,all are black, would stabil in the fuel make it run rich like this! This is driving me crazy

Mine did this after sitting in storage. I put new coils on since 2 were really loose helped a little. What fixed it was cleaning the carbs. It looks hard but it's really easy there are writeups here basically you leave the carbs connected to do it just flip the whole rack over on the motor and take the fuel bowls off and access the jets that way

Did that like 4 times I just pulled the air box off and carb number 4 spitting gas a lot more than other 3 I dunno why it keeps doing this

I dunno I give up on this thing lol. Keep dumping money and no gain. All 4 plugs a black like it's running rich?

Have you sync'd the carbs after rebuilding them? Last year, I was having a tough time getting all four carbs to sync and this was after multiple carb disassembles/cleaning/reassembles. This was after replacing two ignition coils that were arcing. So, this year I decided to rebuild the carbs (new jets, needle valve assemblies, pilot jet screws) as well as replace the two fuel tank filters and rebuild the fuel pumps. That was the ticket as it runs much better after replacing all of this but the carbs still needed to be sync'd as I could tell it still wasn't running like it used to. This time I was able to sync all four carbs using my mercury carb syncer and now she just purrs. A good rule of thumb is that whenever you disassemble the carbs, you have to re-sync them.

In regards to the fuel being the issue, you could always siphon out the old gas and replace with new to see if that helps but my money is on the carbs needing to be sync'd.

Sooo.... Aparently I had a spark plug that was smashed flat..regapped runs like a devil again.Thank you guys for the tips!

Good deal, I was afraid I was gonna have to drive the 6 hours to bring my carb sync tool and sync your carbs. Although they can be very particular and do require annual service, I just hate to see others give up on them when that carbureted 4 cylinder motor can be a blast to ride. ;)!

Ya she's a ripper. I got those plugs in July and thought I gapped all of them in July before I put them....guess not I never ran the machine until a few days ago, I will prob still sync the carbs though here one day. Well that's good to know your willing to drive that far lol.

Back