• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2004 Yamaha RX1 Oil Leak

Kmilley

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha RX-1 ER
Yamaha Venture 500 XL
Hey guys, I'm fairly new here but I'm just looking for some potential guidance in regards to a little oil I found underneath my snowmobile. I recently changed the oil as well as the oil filter and I'm wondering if maybe I didn't tighten something fully or if I accidentally pinched or hit a line when replacing all the parts.

So far I have stripped the airbox off and the felt around the oil filter and didn't feel any oil or leaks coming from there. I also took the skid plate off and it seems to be dripping out from the middle of the underbelly of the sled. I do remember spilling a little oil when I was replacing the oil, but not nearly the amount that I see.

The sled doesn't leak oil when it is sitting, only when it is started warmed up and then shut off... I will attach pictures to show what I see that is happening.

Thanks in advance.
Sled has 30k but is in super nice shape all around.
Oil Leak #4.jpg
Oil Leak #4.jpg
Oil Leak #3.jpg
Oil Leak#2.jpg
Oil leak #1.jpg

do you still have the old oil filter? check and see if it still has its o-ring. seen it happen a few times where it sticks to the block.

I agree with the O ring as a possibility. Also, did you do your change with the kit? there is a washer than can be replaced on the drain plug. I would have to say that I don't replace that washer all the time, but there is a reason a new on is in the kit.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I only changed the oil filter with the one that I purchased off some website ( can't remember now, but I believe it was DennisKirk ). When I took the old oil filter off I compared the two filters and they were exactly the same, I check the O ring as well to ensure it was the same and it was. I didn't get any kit, but there is no oil dripping from around the drain plug at all.

Im going to have a look at it this week sometime and see if I can find anymore signs of a leak.

Thanks again.

You can jack it up run it with skid plates off, I had several leaks on mine but they all fixed now.

Back